or Connect

Posts by msjd123

Quote: Originally Posted by lalaland42 : Call the cc company and see if you can get the interest rate cut. How long would it take to pay it off if you cut corners for a month or two? Another : I think settling an account only happens in the case of much, much larger balances. (Think tens of thousands of dollars.) To pay off $500, I'd either looking at cutting something out or finding a way to earn some extra money. Can you sell some things...
I didn't see the segment either, but whenever I hear about things like that or read articles about "Ten Ways to Slash your Budget NOW!" (you know the type!), I just think, "Eh, rookies." I rarely get anything out of those anymore because we're already doing way more and going way above and beyond what they're suggesting. I agree with Betsy S -- I just wish we had so many things we could cut, but we're old pros living frugally because we have to, so I really don't get...
Quote: Originally Posted by superstella Now see, I've had my $1 bag for over a year and I always leave it out in all the weather (it even hung out through the winter in the snow!) and it's still functioning okay. It does look a little dingy, more of a brownish instead of the original white, but I'm okay with that. However, I think when I move I may use the little boy shirt idea, it sounds much cuter than my dollar store version... maybe I can use the...
I get obsessed like that, too, about certain things, and then it always kind of smacks me in the face, LOL! I have line-dried for years because I love it, and my clothespin bag is lmade out of a little boy's button down shirt. Get a shirt that's about size 4T or so (depends on what size you want), and sew the bottom closed: just one straight line of stitching. Hang it on a regular sized hanger, open the two 2 or 3 buttons, and there you go! Plus, it's so cute! ...
I stock up at the annual Back-to-School sales for basics like crayons, glue, markers, etc. For the nicer things, you can often get oustanding quality and deals at "the teacher stores." (I'm a teacher; I should know! ) They may not be the name brands, but school-grade art supplies are usually very good quality and durable, and they're almost always sold in bulk!
Quote: Originally Posted by MiriamF Just thought I'd share my latest frugal buy - We spend a lot of money on our grocery bill because we eat almost all organic fresh produce and whole foods with zero processed foods. So it's hard to save money using coupons the way others described here. But I found a $1 off Muir Glen coupon so I had my husband print 8 of them. I went to the local coop and found the large tomato cans of muir glen, which are normally...
We are both covered for roughly $250,000 each through a group policy at work. DH (age 33) costs about $15 per month, and I'm (30) about $12 per month. DH has a pretty bad family history of cancer (dad died of brain cancer, brother is dying of a genetic form of colon cancer) and takes meds for depression, so his payment is higher and he's only covered for about $235,000 because that's all we could get. The payout on either one of us, though, would be enough to pay off...
Quote: Originally Posted by phathui5 We have this rule at our house too. So do we. Our problem is that DH's brother is Mr. Jones, and when our niece plays with our daughter, it just sucks.
Quote: Originally Posted by Germaya Thanks so much for all the responses! I might call Gerber and see if I can drop the plan down any - if I pay month-to-month it's $19 a month. I'll also check into the rider on our life ins, I didn't even think to do that! Going to check with DH to see what we can do about that. Thanks again everyone That's very, very high. We have a $250,000 policy on DH who is 33 (in decent health but bad family history...
The beach, if you live within driving distance! We go on Sunday mornings when everyone else is either at church or sleeping in, and it's divine. A thermos of hot coffee for us, breakfast for the little one, and you're there as it starts to clear up and get warmer. Love it!