or Connect

Posts by msjd123

So sorry, the issue of covering burial costs really hadn't occured to me. I guess I've just always thought of life insurance as replacing lost income, and we've actually had quite a few deaths in our family, but everyone was cremated, which wasn't that expensive. I just didn't think about the burial aspect. Sorry!
My understanding about life insurance has always been that it is intended to replace lost income when a working adult dies. In the case of a SAHM, a life insurance policy would help the surviving partner pay to get care for the kids. Children don't work and don't provide any financial benefit, and while I know I would be catastrophically devastated if my daughter died, not even a million bucks would make that any more bearable. I guess I don't really understand why...
I would definitely, definitely go for the shorter commute and smaller house. I know it seems like the not-so-fun choice right now, but I think you'll be grateful in 10 or 15 years. Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/bu...0A&oref=slogin Think long-term, and think of ALL the implications of buying a larger house farther away. It's not just gas prices, but wear and tear on your car. Not having much free time and driving an hour with a fussy baby in the back...
Quote: Originally Posted by spiderdust Anyone have the numbers for the other outlets? Here you are: http://www.hannaandersson.com/aboutHanna.asp?pg=46 The outlet numbers are at the bottom. Oh, and I live in Southern CA, and I ordered from the OR store as well. Shipping is via FedEx, so I expect they'll be here fairly quickly.
Quote: Originally Posted by snuggly mama I took my girls to Old Navy today for their $1 flip flop sale and on the way out of the mall, we walked by Victoria's Secret having their bra sale. Now, I haven't purchased a new bra in at least four years, and I currently own only one (which I actually think has mold in the lining -- eeeew!). So, I figured at $15 apiece, I could grab a couple and be good. I tried on a bunch, and none fit, so the saleswoman...
You rock! My super-nice salesgirl also told me that camisoles are only $3 each, so I got 5 packs of undies and 5 camisoles. Guess what all of our little cousins will be getting in their stockings this year? LOL!
Quote: Originally Posted by Suebot Anyone know how many cups you get out of this? I am new to buying in bulk. (cost per cup would be awesome info if you have it.) Here ya go: http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how...a_pound_of.htm Cost per cup can't be figured out unless we know how much you paid for those 25 pounds.
Quote: Originally Posted by kanga1622 In high school I took an Accounting class with projects after each unit that really helped drive the points home. Basically, they gave starting information and then provided transactions that happened every day, week, month, etc. and we had to keep the books. We'd get little packets with fake checks for us to write but also fake checks that people gave us. Could you do something similar with assigning (or letting...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mama2Bug Teach them to never take out student loans for college unless they're really, really, really sure that they want to go. Familial/societal pressure can cost you thousands of dollars, if you decide later that you've made a mistake. You know what's funny? The last few weeks of this school year, we had debates, and I assigned a few of my Honors students to debate college: to go or not to go? They were aghast...
Quote: Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx In the "Why College Matters" part, I'd throw in something about the difference between average salaries of someone who dropped out of high school, someone with a high school diploma or GED, and a college education. They had these up in the hallways high school I subbed at. I also like the idea of having kids figure out how much money they'd make in a day, week, and month at various jobs. Like if they made...