or Connect

Posts by Panthira

Thank you. I like this a lot. I'm also bookmarking your blog.   
Has anyone tried McRuffy language arts? It looks very hands-on, although it's a Christian curriculum, isn't it? (Not that it matters, although we are not Christian)  
We joined a charter last fall, and it pays for all of our chosen curriculum in the 4 main subjects. It's been great, but I just don't love the language arts programs I've found so far. We are using Plaid Phonics, Explode the Code, and HWT. My two oldest breeze through ETC, and one of them likes it.    The charter would like for me to have a curriculum list by May. I have an incoming Kindergartner who has not been formally taught at all. We don't believe in pushing...
I taught my daughter as a private school (R-4 filed every october with the state). As a private school student, I can supply her with her own diploma. No charter school or other school needed. You are required to keep a log of the child's work, or a portfolio.
Quote: Originally Posted by sparklett Thanks so much for your reply! We're trying to decide whether to stay in So. California, move to Redding, or move even farther north to Oregon. I've read lots of negative stuff about Redding- the heat issue has come up several times, and I've read about how it's a "redneck" town (but I live in a part of So. Cal. that's redneck central, so that doesn't bother me). I also read that it's part of the "State of...
Redding gets hot, but it's a dry heat. There is a great health food store, and a Trader Joe's. There's also a Costco there. It still has a country-like vibe, with big city amenities. Housing is very affordable, people are still nice and friendly. It has tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, with Shasta Lake and Mount Lassen within a short distance. What else are you looking for? It's an easy 3 hour drive from SF, as long as you don't go during commute hours from/to Sac or Tahoe.
Quote: Originally Posted by momtokea My two dd's are in their fifth year of Suzuki piano. It has been a very positive experience and we have an excellent teacher. The girls are progressing amazingly well, and yes, they are learning to read music and do theory. Both girls just started traditional violin lessons this past September. I would have preferred a Suzuki teacher but we couldn't find one nearby. Their teacher is very good and the girls are...
We want to get our son one, and we've been looking at the Magiscope for him.
Huh, a quick look-up of the Faber & Faber Method gave me this site that apparently offers a teaching guide: http://www.pianoteaching.com/guide/contents.html I thought it might interest someone...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marimami When my daughter was 4 last summer, she was insistent on starting piano lessons. We were lucky that her Music Together teacher (she did MT from infancy to age 4) was willing to give it a try. She used the Faber & Faber method with her, and it worked really, really well. That teacher moved away and it took me a long time to find a teacher willing to take on a young student (DD was 5 by this point). DD asked me...