or Connect

Posts by alfabetsoup

Imse Vimse Organic Cotton are just amazing. My 2 DDs are rashy too and the IV OC cover was the only one that didn't give them that welty rash around the thighs. It has a tiny bit of exposed PUL on the gusset but it never seemed to irritate them, don't know if it was the placement or if it's a better grade of PUL. I've tried most of the covers out there and the IVs are the best I've found. They also do a wool cover that is fabulous and might actually last a car ride if...
You know what, anyone who has had to do a lot of errands with a small child has done the same. My neighbor taught me how to secure DD2's pelvis with my hand so I don't have to use The Knee. It doesn't look as bad but it's still the same thing--forcing them in the stroller. I find a food bribe gets DD2 in very quick, she likes raisins or any other picky bits. Errands like the post office have to get done but there might be ways around grocery shopping etc. Can you get...
I think this is one of those very annoying problems-that's-not-a-problem. Did he go to sleep in the end? Was he tired or his schedule thrown off the next day? If not, then there really isn't a problem. DD2 has a whole range of toys in her crib. She is not a co-sleeper and never has been, likes her space when sleeping. She plays, she sings, she rolls around, but in the end she goes to sleep. She has a toy in there that makes noise--I actually find it quite funny, sometimes...
Scheduled mealtimes work better than grazing for some kids, especially the ones that "forget" to eat. I think some babies find it hard to make the transition from milk=food to food=food and the best way to do it (IME) is to offer more formal meals and snacks. When DD2 was making the switch I sat at the table with her for every meal and snack for a few weeks and it really seemed to help. She was super skinny and just not eating enough actual food--just a cracker here, bit...
Are you crafty at all? Could you get her interested in making some toys? At 8 she could learn simple crochet or sew felt toys with supervision, maybe some to keep and some to give away. She might like to have a project, it might take her mind off collecting things.
I think it's just another stick to beat women with. If you don't have an easy birth your baby will be unhappy!!! Stay calm!!! Don't make too much noise!!! Don't get stressed!!! YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR BABY!!!!! It's simply not true. Have a look on these pages for all the women struggling to come to terms with their not-so-great birth experiences and then decide if you really want to throw one more guilt trip at them. Vaginal birth in a calm and relaxed setting where...
I think quite a few first births don't go as planned--mine didn't. I feel ok about it, though, but I couldn't tell you why! Do you think a bit of counseling would help? If it's preying on your mind maybe talking it through with someone would help. Or maybe seeing your records from the birth would help you to work out in your own mind how and why things progressed as they did.
DD has a little friend with some behavioural issues, also can be quite aggressive and does the blank look thing. They went to preschool together last year at a private school and are in (UK equivalent) kindergarten at different public schools now. The new school is really fabulous, they identified her extra needs right away and put some strategies in place to help her. And she is so much better--I don't think the preschool was that helpful and more importantly, I think...
I have been trying to think how to respond to this, and I think you & I might be saying roughly the same thing: don't put children in situations that they can't handle. I do, however, disagree with some of the things you have said: Quote: Originally Posted by Riverdog they likely don't have the impulse control necessary to act in the moment. Many adults struggle with impulse control (ex. yelling at our kids!). It is our job as parents to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Riverdog I have to disagree with this approach. I think little kids this age really won't "get" what is going on. Even if you explain it to them very plainly. For a 2-2.5 year old, it is just a punishment. A 2 year old (even a verbal one) has very few tools in their toolbox for conflict resolution. Expecting them to walk away, not grab toys, or even not push down a baby exploring 'too close' to them is setting them up for...