or Connect

Posts by bamboogrrrl

Ary99 - Related to your homeless married couple observations, a friend gave us a hilarious piece of infertiliy advice. She told me, "move all your money into some really shaky investments, and you'll get knocked up immediately." Maybe we should all join a cult, and wander around airports...
Hello back eveyone - may we all be here briefly! Adina and Korin: am sooooo psyched to hear about your successes. I would have joined Korin in her due date club, but it wasn't to be (grrrr). You two prove there's some sort of higher benevolence in the world. Cheers!
"Your Money or Your Life" By Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey Also visit the Simple Living Discussion forums for more help at: http://www.simpleliving.net/forums/simpleliving/
Hi everyone - there was a time when I posted a lot more, but after almost 4 years of infertility, just can't take it anymore. 1. How old are you? 38, and dh just turned 51! 2. How long have you been trying? 3.5 years 3. Do you currently have any children? Nope, unless you count our black lab mix. Have had two early mcs in the past 5 months. 4. Where are you in the process? Pretty damn sick of it all 5. Do you have a diagnosis? High levels of thyroid antibodies,...
Where I live, we usually have our first frost in early October. This year, no sign of frost yet - woo hoo! It HAS been rainy and icky, but we haven't needed the woodstove so far. Last year we made it until the middle of December before we turned the furnace on, and I think we started using the woodstove in mid-October. This year, it continues to be semi-warm so we can conserve wood and oil...with nice big sweaters. Stay warm, everyone!
From my own experiences with almost 4 years of infertility, it seems like if you have thyroid issues, soy can make them a lot worse. If your thryoid levels are fine, then soy isn't a big deal...
We have a big ole drafty farmhouse we bought 5 years ago. Our kitchen is huge with just one tiny radiator, so we froze the first year. The second year, we got a Vermont Castings woodstove on ebay for the kitchen and an ugly one that looks like a big guitar speaker for the basement. We have cut our heating bills in half by heating with wood. I would NOT buy a Vermont Castings stove again - it's over engineered and parts are impossible to get. Jotuls seem MUCH better....
There you go - sounds like you got it going on. I was just trying to think of a way to avoid paying closing costs if you weren't rolling that much debt into your mortgage. To increase one's mortgage by $20K and have to pay closing costs of $6K+ is like paying almost 30% interest - ouch! But it's not a bad idea to have a HELOC in place for future emergencies, as long as you're sure you won't go Imelda Marcos with the money. We have one in place we haven't used - it's...
For your personal finances: use Dave Ramsey's debt snowball method, rank your debts in order of smallest to largest. Keep $1K in emergency funds. Pay off the smallest debt first while you pay minimum payments to the other debts. As you pay off a loan, cc, whatever, add that payment to the minimum on the next smallest debt. By the time to begin to pay your largest debt, you'll have a chunk o' change to throw at it. It looks like you could pay off a serious amount of CC...
Why not open a home equity line of credit? If you think you can pay it off in a timely way, it's a good choice. AND there are usually no fees involved with setting one up...