or Connect

Posts by PrettyBird

Heck yeanh! Our farmers market has a box of tomatoes (organic even!) with bad spots they sell for $10/box. I've never weighed it but I get about 10 quarts/box. I've canned most of my tomatoes that way since my own tomatoes didn't do very well due to of all the 100 degree stretches.
We've been very lucky and gotten tons of things second hand. Never a problem with roaches until we moved to a super humid climate. However, I never find good deals for furniture at thrift shops. Too often it is crappy particle board stuff going for $70+. I must get there after the good stuff gets sold.
Quote: Originally Posted by choli That does suck, but wouldn't he have had to take a loan out anyway if his parents did tell him they would not pay for college? Well I'm not him but he may have chosen a path that would minimize the amount of loans he would have to take out if he had know the full scope of things. We plan on funding our girls' educations but if we fall short of 4 years room and board at a private school I'm going to lay out...
Well maybe you do need to move. Honestly we are living in an area with great job prospects for DH but not so much for me. That's why I've been without a job for so long and I have a great degree too. In the future we'll probably need to move if this or other opportunities don't work out for me. As for the kids, I have two extremely social girls and I'm an introverted person at heart so preschool is a better option for us. Would it cost you so much once school started...
When we were saving up for our down payment, etc we lived in crappy small apartments to have the lowest rent we could. It was DH's last deployment (extra pays, tax free pay, etc) that gave us a huge boost, however. Although we already bought our home we are paying as much extra as we can to have it payed off in less than 12 years. We have the extra taken out at the beginning of every month. After we pay our bills and savings is taken out what we have is what we have.
I don't know if I count. This is my first year attempting a garden. I have 26 tomato plants that I bought as starter plants (Rutgers and Roma for canning, and 4 varieties of Heirloom plus one cherry tomato plant), 18 bell pepper plants, 10 assorted hot pepper plants, as well as cucumbers, squash, pumpkin, kale, green, wax, and lima beans started from seed. So far the stuff I stared from seed is doing great but my tomato transplants got off to a very slow start. I also...
I would take the job, especially if you live in an area with few job opportunities. You may not net very much if anything right away but your job experience will help you with earning potential in the future. I am looking at a very good possibility of a job where at first I probably won't net very much because we'll put both girls in the neighborhood private preschool/grade school to accommodate my schedule. However it will allow me to expand my resume and keep it...
Quote: Originally Posted by marimara I know, so have we. I am so determined this time. We've made some bad mistakes in the past and I don't want to repeat any. Right now, I'd like to have a new car, a nice one. But I'm delaying gratification. I have a new car but it's just not that nice. It runs great, good on gas, but kinda lame, no frills, no power anything. Think college student car. All the other moms I know drive super nice vans or SUVs, or...
We just got new replacement windows (all the bells and whistles that qualify for the new energy tax credit) for about 5000 and we have 17 windows. Get more estimates, we went with a local guy that used to work for a big company but has done most of our neighbor's windows. He was much cheaper than the bigger companies but I am very pleased with his work. Our first electric bill came in after having the windows for a full month and I am already very pleased. I don't...
When we lived in an apartment with a VERY inefficient washer/dryer, I line dried everything inside and we saved about $20-40/month doing so. Now that we moved and have a brand new, energy efficient w/d, I have found line drying doesn't really make a difference in our bill. DD2's diapers take about 20-30 mins to dry versus the 2 hours they took with our old dryer. I still think the sun does a great job removing stains and odors (especially from diapers!) though and is...