or Connect

Posts by Raven67

I paid $900 for the homestudy, but then I switched to China, after the homestudy was written for Vietnam, which required two additional visits, and they charged me another $300 for the visits and small update. The education requirement was done online and cost about $100. I didn't have any kind of "application fee," that sounds inflated. So, at this agency, a basic homestudy is $1000, and they charged extra for China, since it required two extra visits. Now, I have 3...
My daughter was born in China, and adopted at 16 months. I changed her name because I didn't want her to go through life with a name that was hard to pronounce and spell in English. I kept her given name as her middle name, and changed her first name (and surname, obviously). She has the option of using it, if it is important to her.
I've been lurking and following your struggle for a long time....just have to say I think boarding school would be a great idea, maybe the best thing for everyone.
I chose M for my daughter because I loved the quiet and orderliness of it. The classrooms are so calm, peaceful and productive. I love that civility, respect and independence are emphasized. I found other schools where I observed were too chaotic for my daughter, plus too much "forced socializing" with singing and circle time. My daughter had never been to school, was very shy and doesn't like change, chaos, large groups, loud noise, so I just didn't think she'd have...
You know, I don't know why they do it that way.......but, according to the people I've spoken to (families and school personel) it works fine.....There is, of course, a period of transition during the first half of fourth grade, but the teachers are all on board with it, and try to help the kids to adjust....I haven't spoken to anyone who didn't think it worked, the only complaints I've heard is that the kids sometimes have a hard time adjusting to homework every night. I...
Well, uniforms belong in OUR Montessori school, that's for sure....It's a unique setting, Montessori embedded in a private/Catholic school. They have Montessori classrooms for preschool/Kindy (3s to 5s) and then Junior Montessori from first to third grade. At fourth grade, the school reverts to a traditional curriculum. Uniforms are worn from first grade up.....For the preschoolers, they are not required, but many of the kids buy the "school gym uniform" of tees and...
Hi Excited! I'm in China right now, at the White Swan Hotel, with my beautiful new daughter sleeping on my bed a few feet away! The past week has been such a whirlwind, I don't even know where to start.....We are doing great here! My little one was in such bad shape 7 days ago, but you'd hardly recognize her now, she is really blossoming. We are really bonding well. She is such a sweet, bright little girl....she's been through so much, but her essence is just so...
If anyone is interested in following yet another Chinese adoption story.....here is a blog I've started. I hope I can update every day that I am in China. http://anothermomo2girls.blogspot.com/
is Children's Home Society and Family Services in MN. The cost for a China adoption......homestudy, agency fees, country fees, other fees....Came to around $15,000, total. Travel in China for one person, for two weeks, to bring the baby home, is another $5000.......So, I'd say, at this agency, China adoption is about $20,000. In my research, I found that Ethopian adoption is more affordable, followed by Haiti, then China, then Korea, then Vietnam, Kaz and Guatamala...
I felt uncomfortable with the "counseling" offered the teenage girls making their adoption plans.......Although the girls felt they were not ready to be mothers, I didn't get the sense that they (or their parents) would not be able to provide nice, loving homes for the new babies. I didn't like it when the Gladney counselor said, "I just try to redirect them to all the reasons they chose to place their babies in the first place (when they were feeling depressed and...