or Connect

Posts by neptunemama

We do most nights.  When the kids were little we had dinner together every night, all four of us, or the kids and I if dh was traveling.  My younger dd has sports practice till 8pm 3x/wk.  So on those nights only three of us eat together. And when she gets home, we sit down with her while she has her second dinner (she eats a full meal before practice but dh and my older dd aren't usually home that early).  Oh, my kids are 14 and 12.  
I was 13 when I got my first period.  My older dd is 14 1/2 and has yet to get hers yet.  I think she'll get it by this summer.  My younger dd is 12 and hasn't gotten it yet either.  However she's developing earlier than her sister did, so my guess is she's going to get it sometime within this year, so probably when she's 12 1/2-13.  They could both get their first period about the same time!  Different kids different maturation process.  I'm not sure why my younger dd...
My opinion on soy, like any other food, is everything is fine in moderation (well, except trans fats).  I've done a lot of reading on the pros and cons, or more specifically the benefits and detriments of soy, and there is no consensus.  I wouldn't feed my kids or myself tons of soy.  But I wouldn't feed us tons of beef, chicken, fish or dairy either.  It's all about balance and variety.  Too much of anything isn't good for you, whether it's broccoli or cookies.  Think of...
He might like Paolini's series beginning with Eragon. 
I think making sure she gets enough water during the day is good advice.  Also, have you had her eyes checked recently?  Vision problems often trigger headaches for people.  
I'd ask your dd what she wants to do.  It seems like MS is the time many families stop giving teacher gifts.  Both of my dds have wanted to give their teachers gifts in MS however, so we do.  We usually make a huge batch of spiced nuts and put them in individual jars w/a nice ribbon tied around it.  Sometimes my girls have wanted to bake cookies to go along with the nuts.  I think at this age your dd is old enough to help make a gift if she wants to give it, or do it all...
I would get an Indian cookbook.  A lot of Indian dishes are both veggie, and soy and gluten free.  A really easy dish to make is this one.  Serves 6 1 Tbs cumin seed (this might be too much for many people so you may want to use less the first time) 1 large onion, chopped 12 oz chopped tomatoes (2 medium)  4-5 TBS ginger, diced 1 tsp salt 4 Tbs jalapeño pepper, diced (I leave this out b/c my kids find it too spicy) 3 cans of chickpeas, drained 1 cup coconut...
I agree with other posters who've said do something together.  My older dd hated exercise and when she was 11 was definitely overweight.  Her doc was concerned not b/c of her weight but b/c she didn't exercise at all.  I've posted about this before on these boards somewhere, so I'll keep it sort of brief.  My dd was starting middle school, and we knew she'd have to run the mile in MS on a regular basis.  So I suggested we go to a track a few weeks before MS started and...
I think homework has benefits for kids in middle and high school.  There is no reason for kids in elementary school to have homework.  Projects on occasion, sure.  But nightly or weekly homework, no.  
Like beanma, I've never made my dds wear a bra but I have pointed out that certain shirts are too sheer on their own and they should wear a bra or tank top underneath.