or Connect

Posts by thefragile7393

http://www.globalvillageschool.org/ is another option.
I like the Language Lessons series from Queen Homeschool.  They are short lessons and I think they are pretty awesome.  Phonics starts with book 2. http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/Language%20Lessons/Language%20Lessons.html Literally they are short and simple and easily could be done a few times a week.
I second maybe trying a Charlotte Mason type approach.  Ambleside Online's Year 0 is only a booklist of great books to read plus nature study and lots of outdoor time.  A Beka might just be not the right choice for him right now developmentally.  My son is currently in Kindergarten and I had all sorts of academic aspirations for him.  It turned out backfiring on me....my math choice was lousy, 2 phonics programs failed.  I was considering giving up...then I decided to...
As it's tax time, using part of my return for next year's materials is vital so I have to start looking at next year. I'm still on the fence as to what to use for DS, who will be in first grade.  We did well with Ambleside Online's Year 0 layout, and Easy Pack A from Queen Homeschool.  Unfortunately Singapore Earlybird math was too hard for him, and I failed on two phonics programs before I have finally found something that works.  These lessons will be over soon...
I personally like the first one myself.  I like how the academics aren't overly stressed at a young age...that is a huge problem in many American schools...although of course you're in a different country.  If there was a school like the first one near me I'd send my kids in a heartbeat.
This is soooo true!  I don't put stock into standardized testing the way it's done today and I definitely can see that my son would likely be in good company if and when this happens.  If testing was done the way it's done now back when I was younger I never would have finished school.  I was so poor in math and I never got any help sadly.  If i had known that I needed to do testing just to be able to graduate I would have been much worse of a basket case than I already...
Depends on the circumstances.
Jumping in here...I lurk all the education forums since I love reading about education in any form.  That is a lot of money to pay for a school....but I well understand why you, or anyone else, would do it.  I use part of my tax return money to pay for my kids homeschool curriculums for the next school year.  I consider it well worth the sacrifice to make sure that I'm doing the best I can for my kids and if I was going to have to stop, I would likely do the same as you...
From the website:   So, the teacher is right.  They are pushing it in neglect of everything else, possibly so the kids will have a head start next year.  If that is ok with you, then stay with it.  I personally am more along the lines of your wishing what a kinder should be (which is what it used to be and isn't really anymore, with maybe the exception of Waldorf and some independent schools ascribing to various theories).  I wouldn't like this for my kids...a year does...
I personally find that they can be great for many kids.  Here, I don't like any of the school districts, even the supposed high performing ones.  I'm just not impressed with their curriculums, their textbooks, some of their teachers.  I home school for now, but if my kids have to go to public school I'm sending them any one of the good charters around here.  I like a Waldorf-inspired one very much....not pure Waldorf, but not pure public school either.  They can be a...