or Connect

Posts by emilysmama

Thank you mamas for the replies. Reading about your experiences is very helpful.  If you have any other thoughts, please keep 'em coming!   heatherdeg- It was helpful to read about your experience with the CTD courses, because I was curious about that as well.  My dd's principal says that the school would not do anything with the test scores, which is contrary to what the NUMATS tries to imply in their website.  My dd's principal says that the only purpose of the test...
I want to thank you mamas for leading me to Beast Academy.  I ordered the whole thing, and my fourth grade dd just started the first chapter of grade 3.  It is everything that I had hoped for.  Dd loves it, and she says that her teacher "needs to see this".  So dd is going to take it to school and show her, and I am sure the teacher will be interested.  Beast Academy is an excellent supplement, but I  am not sure that I would be happy using it as a stand alone if I were...
I pumped in the car during my commute into work and my commute out of work.  That got me two extra pumping sessions.  I found that I had to pump every 2.5 - 3 hours. 
My guess is that your brother probably spit out 0.6 / 1.67.  Your brother probably saw the 5/3, and converted it to decimals, which is 1.67, and he probably saw the 3/5, and converted it to decimals, which is 0.6.  Then it looks like for some reason he mistakenly thought that you have to divide these two numbers, so that is where the 0.6 / 1.67 came from.  (That's actually wrong.) But how did we know to keep it all in fractions and not to mess with the decimals?  Two...
(Your brother is wrong.  Well, your brother was close, but the teacher probably wants the exact answer.)   I can't resist.  I love explaining these things.   It is NOT a coincidence that the 3/5 and the 5/3 popped up.  The problem was carefully designed so that things cancel to make the solution faster.  This problem is actually easier to solve if you DON'T simplifiy or convert into decimals.  The way I solve it is to keep track of the units. That way, I don't really...
I am looking into a different talent search that also uses the EXPLORE test, and I happened across some videos that might help you think about how to frame your conversation.    http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/what-is-numats/   I think that part of the first video ("Informational Video" 4:46/15:26 - 6:48/15:26), and part of the second video ("NUMATS overview"  2:38/3:55 - 3:15/3:55) might be helpful.   When I poked around the website, and looked at the...
I have a PhD (and other degrees) in physics and I am a professor, so I can speak to the topic about majoring in physics.     As the pp said, you want to think about how to make yourself marketable before you graduate, rather than after graduation.  I would suggest double majoring in biology or economics because it is these interdisciplinary fields of physics that will make you more effective in the areas of anthropology than majoring/minoring in anthropology...
I'd like to hear about what you liked about the experience.   (Center for Talented Deveopment's Northwest University's Midwest Academic Talent Search) http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/   If so, why were you glad that your kid did this?    I keep reading the website and brochure, and I still cannot figure out exactly what kind of academically enriching opportunities this program offers that would not be otherwise available. For example, is this testing program...
Thank you so much, mamas!    I'm just lurking because my dd goes to a public school (a gifted magnet school), and she said that she would like to be challenged in math. The teacher is trying to "enrich" her.  (Every time my dd says that, I feel like she is talking about uranium.) My dd must be desperate because she asked me to teach her the pre-algebra.  (The stubborn child refuses to tolerate it when I try to help her with her math homework.  She seems to think that I...
"What?  You are only just now realizing that?"