or Connect

Posts by emilysmama

Diyabolo,   I saw in your post that your dd will be going to preschool next year, and I have an idea that you may or may not like.     So first, here is what gave me the idea:   My dd (9 y.o.) has been going to a humungous day care center since she was 6 months old.  (Full time until Kindergarten. Since beginning of kindergarten, after school during the school year, and full-time during the summers.)   Last summer, my daughter told me that once a week,...
What we have found the hard way is that we have to start the allergy medication a couple weeks before the allergy season is expected to begin.  If you wait until the allergy symptoms kick in to start taking the meds, then it is too late.  Your allergist should be able to tell you approximately when the mold and each of the tree pollens is expected kick in each year, although there is a slight variation due to weather from year to year.  Also, it is very good that you are...
What we have found the hard way is that we have to start the allergy medication a couple weeks before the allergy season is expected to begin.  If you wait until the allergy symptoms kick in to start taking the meds, then it is too late.  Your allergist should be able to tell you approximately when the mold and each of the tree pollens kick in, although there is a slight variation due to weather from year to year.  Also, it is very good that you are charting at what time...
I think it is very worthwhile, and that you can do a very good job at it.  You can learn about it together.   I saw this book on display at the library of my daughter's elementary school: http://www.schoenhofs.com/My-First-Book-of-Tagalog-Words_p_18378.html?gdftrk=gdfV26312_a_7c2184_a_7c7508_a_7c9780804838191&gclid=CNjRl8LUqLcCFQ3l7AodpisAjg   I wasn't able to get to it to open up the book, so I don't know how good a book it is, but maybe you can look for it in...
I agree.  You know, I was just thinking this same thing the other day, and that it's not called the "mother tongue" for nothing.
Shaving cream:  I forget exactly.  I think she spread a layer of shaving cream onto a cookie sheet or some other flat surface, and had the children stick index finger into the shaving cream to "write" Chinese characters?  It is a common teaching technique that regular teachers do with children who learn by doing (kinesthetic? learners).  I'm assuming that the teacher found out about it on the internet and adapted it to suit her objective. She also found craft ideas for...
You must feel so helpless from so far away.   This might be something you can do.   When my father died suddenly, my husband and I were busy consoling my mother in the hospital.  We were overwhelmed because neither of us had never had to make funeral arrangements before, and we had no one locally to call around the local funeral homes.  We had to tell the hospital which funeral home to send my father's body, and had no idea where to start.   My sister, bless...
There is lots of hope for you. Maybe it won't stop with her.  I am second generation, and I have to say that I'm not very impressive.  Back when I was a child, assimilation was very important, not cultural identity.  However, my dd is third generation and I put a high priority on bilingualism, and somehow dd turned out to be really very impressive.  My dd has to work much harder than her second generation friends, and she is much smarter than I ever was, but I always have...
The hardest part would be to find just the right teacher.  The typical mother would make it boring and dull.  You want to find someone who is fun and very imaginative and creative.    Here are some things that my dd's teacher did.    The teacher would take common board games purchased from a thrift store and modify them slightly.  (1) For example, do you know the game Jenga, with the blocks that you form into a tall tower, and you have to slide out a block at a...
    Diyabolo,   IsaFrench has a good suggestion. You only need two to four more children to make the playgroup a fun experience. The children don't even have to be exactly the same age.  My dd was 7, and the other kids were 6, 5, 4, 4, 4.  I think you could find those children more easily than you'd think.    Three families chipping in for a person to lead the playgroup works out to be very reasonable.    If you pitched it to other parents correctly, I'll bet that you...