or Connect

Posts by emilysmama

One more thing, on a totally different subject.   Naomi Steiner spoke of something that lowered my anxiety level considerably.  One of the myths that she busted was that bilingual is black and white, you either have it or you don't.  Your child can either speak perfectly, or not.  But her point is that being bilingual is a continuum.  Even if your child doesn't speak like a native, or even speak at all, if your child can understand, then that is HUGE.    And even if...
  Even though there is no option for Arabic schooling or exposure where you live right now, that will likely change over the years, and faster than you think.  Where I live is in the middle of nowhere in the countryside.  Very homogeneous ethnic demographics.  And yet, for various reasons, now there is a significant Arabic population that recently built a mosque that was welcomed by the general community.  My daughter goes to school with children who do speak Arabic. ...
I think that the above is going to be by far your biggest problem.  My parents spoke Taiwanese (the Chinese dialect of Taiwan) in the home.  I (the eldest) was very good at it.  My younger sister (the middle sibling and only one year younger) could understand but not speak. My younger brother (the baby of the family and three years younger than the middle sibling), even less so.  Based on other families that I know, this is pretty much true.  Oldest siblings are most...
When I was a little girl, I was where your daughter is now.  Back then, it was very uncool to speak Chinese (or any non-European language) out of the home, and I am one of those who mourn my loss of not being comfortable to speak Chinese.  So I, too, work really hard to teach my dd to be bilingual.  So yes, you have to be extra vigilant.  And yes, it all begins with every once in a while. So when I can, I do tell my daughter to pick up the toys or go to the bathroom in...
I have some reassuring things to say.   I remember when my dd was 4.  At that time, everything that I read was adamant that rigidly sticking to OPOL (One person one language) is the only way to raise your child to become bilingual, and that even the slightest deviation would doom my child to speaking only English for the rest of her life. When my child was that little, it seemed like there were so many decisions that were so important that in retrospect aren't.  At...
Just by calling it Lunar New Year by the name of Tet, you are passing along a huge part of the culture that you feel shaky about.  Here in the Midwest, everyone calls it Chinese New Year and they forget that all of the rest of Asia also celebrates the New Year.  You can eventually learn what Tet has in common with other Lunar New Years, and what is different.   As your kids get older, you can do some internet searches and together you and the kids can become more...
Glad you're enjoying  the "Study in Scarlet".    As for favorites, I loved them all.    I do recall not enjoying "The Greek Interpreter" because it seemed a little less satisfying than all the others.   I think the "Musgrave Ritual"  was my personal favorite because its solution is simply an application of geometry, but that's just me.   I liked the "Adventure of the Speckled Band" and "The Bruce-Partington Plans" and "The Blue Carbuncle", too.   I...
  Hi meemee,   I know you did.  I enjoyed your posts.
Hello Original Poster,   I was reading your thread.  I'm with you.  For me, it's not even a question of safety.   I just don't like it when a musical organization like that tells me as a parent what I can and cannot do about things like that without leaving room for negotiation.   I can sympathize with and even understand the reasons that the choir has chosen to do what it does, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.  I was going to suggest that you explore...
Hello meemee,   I always enjoy your posts.   It's nit-picky of me to mention this, but there is absolutely no need for you to say something like "in our defense". What you do works well for your family, and that is fantastic.  You should be proudly proclaiming what you do.  I know that I shouldn't read too much into the phrase "in our defense", but I am mentioning this simply because I don't want us to degenerate into a mommy-wars kind of discussion when I really just...