or Connect

Posts by emilysmama

I have a dd 9 years old.  Our rule is zero screen time.  It works well for us.  
I devoured all of the Sherlock Holmes books when I was in eighth grade, I loved them so.  I still do.   I was going to suggest that were I in your shoes, I think I would try to steer my child away from "A Study in Scarlet".  I've always found it to be the creepiest of all of the Sherlock Holmes stories by far.  All of the other Sherlock Holmes stories, however, are fine.   I would recommend any Sherlock Holmes story EXCEPT "A Study in Scarlet".  
I would not look for another place just yet.  Instead, I would have a heart-to-heart talk with the director.  I don't think I would even bother to bring hard evidence.  That would make it judgmental and put the director on the defensive.  It is enough that you as the parent express what you want, and the director can have the opportunity to express whether it is realistically possible or not.  The purpose of talking to the director is not for you to convince that your...
So glad you found a solution that you are happy with.   Is math part of what needs to be caught up with?  If so, then would it be helpful to get a tutor, just for a couple months?  Like a college student majoring in math or physics could help bring your daughter up to speed with the math really quickly.  Your daughter would be much less likely to act up with the college student, and more likely to act up with you if you try to help your daughter with the math homework. ...
  Hi again,   I apologize for still being a little confused.   I understand the part about how the ped wants you to get another ounce per day in the babies. Whether your ped is correct about the amount, I can't tell, based on what you've written. I guess I'd have to look at her calculations in order to understand that. I was just wondering, however, whether your ped is taking into consideration the following factors listed...
Now my child wasn't born as early as yours.  Mine was only 2 weeks early, so that is considered full term.  Mine spent ten days in the NICU, but it was just for jaundice.  Mine didn't have the temperature regulation issues, which I think would have driven me bananas.  I also had an undersupply.  But I built it up by lots of pumping.   Your kids will do fine.  In fact, they are much better than mine.  My dd did not know how to latch and didn't figure out how to latch until...
Hello,   Maybe I am confused because I know nothing about twins.    Are your babies strong nursers?    If you just had a singleton, then most people would simply advise you to offer directly from the breast (without SNS) a lot more often.  (No bottles, no cup, nothing but just more breast.)  I was wondering why that is not the same advice you were given for your twins to give them their extra breastmilk?  Is it simply because bottles and cups are easier to...
  In order to prevent nipple confusion, my dd used this type of bottle (called a Haberman Feeder) from birth until the day she figured out how to breastfeed at age 3 months: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/83/specialneeds-feeder    (And yes, during that time, we did the SNS.  Some feedings she did the Haberman, and other feedings she did the SNS, until she eventually learned how to nurse at the breast.)   But you asked about cup feeding... Because she never...
I only had a singleton, but maybe my reply will still help you.   I really don't think that 3.5 months is too late to get a baby to latch on and nurse.  My dd did not figure out how to latch on until 3 months old, and she was born only two weeks early.  Your babies were born a lot earlier.  There is some kind of mathematical equation that you take into account how early they were born and you can calculate roughly when you can expect the baby to learn to nurse.    I...
The issue might be cost, not grade level.    When my dd was in Kindergarten, there were several children, including my dd, who were strong enough readers to start AR in Kindergarten.  Apparently in previous years, Kindergarteners didn't do AR, but that year some of the strongest readers in Kindergarten  did.  There was a delay in starting those Kindergarten children with AR because the school had to figure out how to pay for the additional cost of the Kindergarteners. ...