or Connect

Posts by emilysmama

I am allergic to pretty much anything that is airborne. I have had allergy shots since 1997. They are fantastic for me. I know that not everyone has success with allergy shots, but I am thrilled with allergy shots for me. I used to have to take all kinds of medications, including the ones that you mentioned, and I still didn't get much relief. Now, I don't take much, if any medication at all, and that is the result of the allergy shots. It is a long term...
Quote: Originally Posted by ecrocks23 It said that lunch did not go well and that she had some issues with ds' "modified diet." She said ds was upset that he couldn't eat what his friends were eating and that his friends wanted what ds was eating. She also said I may need a dr. note for this (come on, to bring my kid in his own wholesome lunch!!!), and that they wanted to see the book/article I got the info from. I have some suggestions, based...
I'm a professor at a university that has a 4 course load per semester. I'm also a department chair on top of that. Although there is expectation for faculty here to do research, it is not nearly the expectation at research universities. No, I have never heard of anyone at my institution going back part time on tt. First, everytime I asked what I was and wasn't allowed to do about my maternity leave, I was always told to ask my Dean. For my university, at least,...
You poor thing! Sleep deprivation makes everything a thousand times more difficult. As your child gets older, it will get better. My dd is almost completely weaned. This child slept through the night for the first six months of her life, and started waking up in the middle of the night to nurse at just the age that many babies start to sleep through the night. It was pretty ironic. Within 3 months after I went back to work, she got smart. She refused all pumped milk...
Put me in the made no difference category. What helped me the most was adding in extra pumping sessions to pump around the clock every two hours. Essentially, even when baby wasn't awake or interested in drinking, I still got up in the middle of the night to pump. That helped a lot.
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueIrises I'm going to offer you a different point of view. She took one look at my nips and saw they were a little crusty and said oh you have a bacterial infection and although there is stuff in the APNO that treats it, she Rxed just that one ingredient for me and said taking it by itself really is best... Well that was 7w ago...I can't believe it but I am still BF and my son will be 4m on Sat...I haven't even had any...
My local LLL leader taught the BRU breastfeeding seminar two years in a row. I know that for a fact because I was there. She did a really good job. She mostly talked about the advantages of breastfeeding and offered herself as a resource. I don't think that she pushed any BRU products, but if she did, it was really low key. I suppose it would vary from store to store, but I thought it was done really well here.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikki Jean We're avoiding soy too, so that won't work either. Not that the sun rises and sets with hummus or anything, we just eat a lot of it, so I thought it would be nice for him to have some. Oh, well! You could make the hummus without any tahini/peanut/soy. It would still taste pretty good, although not exactly like the real thing. Maybe your child would be fine with tahini, I really don't know. I don't...
Congratulations on the job offer! You'll make the right decision in the end. Only you know your personal circumstances well enough to know what that decision should be. If you decide to take the job, don't fill yourself with guilt by thinking of it as leaving your children. Think of it as doing what you need so that your family can do better than just survive. If you do take the job, think of this is your family's future. As far as pumping is concerned, just because...
My daughter is mildly allergic to seseme. It was only after I tried giving it to her and figuring out the reactions that I went to an allergist. Allergist naturally told us to avoid nuts as a precaution, but what is interesting is that he said that an order from him to avoid nuts also means that we should avoid seeds, including seseme/tahini, etc. I make my own hummus, and leave out the tahini. I have been told that some people substitute peanut butter for tahini. ...