or Connect

Posts by sugarbeth

Quote: Originally Posted by Parker'smommy "Don't offer, don't refuse" is a mother led weaning technique. It is not CLW. Since when??
It can't hurt to call the midwife and at least get a prescription for antibiotics. Then if the symptoms come back you can treat them quickly. I got mastitis at least 5 times and I finally learned to ask for extra drugs so that I could have them on hand.
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyaW I did have it in the oven to store it a few times and turned on the oven while I forgot about the pan in there. Could that have caused the problem? Yeah, I imagine that could mess up your seasoning pretty quickly if the pan got too hot and burnt it off.
Once you get a nice seasoning on your pan, you won't have this issue. What temperature do you cook at usually? I find that I can turn the heat down a notch with my cast iron. It might be that you are burning food onto your pan and it's this that is getting flaked off. Once the seasoning takes hold, things won't stick at all. But it does take some time to build that layer up. When I have a pan that needs seasoning, I make a project out of it, and season it every chance I...
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy Even my heathen, Jewish behind knows this one. The enemy is none other than The DEVIL, Satan himself. Everything bad comes from Satan, remember? (No, I'm not being sarcastic... I'm being totally serious.) Whew! I was worried the "enemy" was going to be biologists! You're reminding me of these t-shirts: http://controversy.wearscience.com/design/devil/
Quote: Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty I believe the new "theistic evolution" is just the enemy's way of introducing evolution into Christian theology and make it sound good. It is desensitizing our children the same way violent games are desensitzing them to violence. Ok, I'll bite. Who is the "enemy"?
I've noticed that to a lot of creationists, "new information" seems to mean "sprouting limbs" or some such nonsense. So I'm glad to see that you would consider a new protein as new information. You are ahead of your peers. New proteins are formed very easily via gene duplication. There's a lot of info about that if you google "gene duplication" and evolution. This was a nice little layman's synopsis that I found, it even explains how we can test this hypothesis that a...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamabadger It may be more impressive, arguably, but it is no more likely. If God can "poof" a "life force" or "spark" into existence out of nothing, He can "poof" multiple species. Neither is inherently more likely. The "primal life force" that lead eventually to multiple life forms feels more "science-ish" to modern sensibilities, but it is really no more or less scientific. We're talking about reconciling faith in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl My main reason from the science angle for not believing in evolution (theistic or otherwise) is: Genetics. Mutations are mistakes. They may occasionally prove harmless or beneficial to a population (a wingless beetle or sightless fish) but they never generate new information (nonsense maybe or a variant of the original information, but never something new). The nature of information is such that it cannot...
Quote: Originally Posted by nattysmum07 I was actually suprised that when I said "it's not our decision it's his" that he disagreed. He thinks that, as his parents, it is our decision. I think a lot of parents feel a sense of "ownership" when they have young children. But really, you and your husband will only be seeing your son's penis for a few years. Your son will be his own man someday, and has to live with his penis his whole life. It...