or Connect

Posts by Swandira

I have my 24-month-old (25 months tomorrow!) in a rearfacing TrueFit. He has no issues with it, and in fact his legs don't even touch the seat in front of him, so I see no compelling reason to flip him yet. He doesn't seem to mind rearfacing, unlike his older brother, who was FF before he was 2 because I was sick of the screaming when he couldn't see me. I think my almost-5-year-old was over 3 before we turned her FF. She has really long legs and was often uncomfortable,...
I don't do any forcing or insisting related to food. I always make sure there's something on the table that's a preferred food of my pickier kid -- I have one with a sensory processing disorder who will sometimes refuse certain stuff. I don't offer anything else other than what we're all having, nor do I let them leave the table and get something different. Meals, except for breakfast, are communal here, which encourages them to try new stuff. What's served is what's...
Hi! I'm from Knoxville, but have lived in Seattle for 10 years, during which time I've produced three kids. We're going to be in Knoxville to visit elderly relatives for about nine days later this month. I haven't been home during the winter since the kids were born, and I'm interested to hear suggestions on indoor (or worth-braving-the-cold outdoor) fun from the Mothering mamas in the area. Where do you take them these days? The kids are just-turned-8, almost-5, and...
I don't know about the tooth fairy thing, but my kids found this book (and all the other ones we've seen from the same series) to be really fun/helpful/reassuring. http://www.amazon.com/Wobbly-Tooth-Must-Never-Charlie/dp/0448442558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292916644&sr=1-1   In the end, it doesn't matter whether he's scared and worried about losing teeth or not. It's going to happen, regardless, and when it does, he'll most likely see that it's not something...
Children are just people.   I think of this to remind myself that there's nothing metaphysically different about them. This isn't true in every case, because not all of their systems are fully developed and they aren't fully grown, but it helps me remember to imagine how I would react in a similar situation. They're just like the rest of us, except with less life experience. They don't have any special emotions or motivations that we don't have...
Old peri bottles do make the best bath toys ever, though.   Nealy Mama to Thales, 8; Lydia, 4; and Odin, 2
My oldest son had a Still's murmur when he was a toddler, and I was sent to a pediatric cardiologist for confirmation that that's what it was. He had one appointment during which they did an EKG and the doctor listened to him. The doctor then said it was a "classic Still's murmur," and reminded me that it would not affect my son's life and not to worry about it at all. He's had no ill effects and his pediatrician says now it seems to be resolved -- it goes away as they...
I couldn't vote, because there was no option for "Both 'dookie' and 'poo-poo' are unsuitable." They're both baby talk. Babies use baby talk on their own, so I find it unnecessary to teach it to them systematically. Why not just use the grown-up word? No, not that one; I meant the one you used in the thread title because you were addressing it to grown-ups: poop. You wouldn't teach him to say "pee-pee" instead of "penis," would you? Why use baby talk at all? People often...
Yep, it goes fast!   Odin's birthday was 12/12 -- last Sunday -- and we didn't have a party for him. We had just finished with his 8-year-old brother's party (born 12/9/02,) so we saved ourselves the trouble and just made him a birthday cake and gave him some presents at home. His favorite thing was going to Build A Bear Workshop, though. He picked out a really soft, woolly dog, and he was instantly attached to him! Fenris (his doggie's name) has slept with us every...
I have a four-year-old who learned to ride recently. She started out on her big brother's old balance bike (the kind with no pedals) -- it was a Kettler. (You can get one on Amazon for about $100.) She rode that for about two weeks before she had pretty much completely mastered balancing. She could glide along for a considerable distance before she'd put her feet down. At that point we went to REI (www.rei.com) and got her a Novara Firefly. I think we paid $160. (It's...