or Connect

Posts by craftymom

We have 2 station wagons. In mine--the one we use 90% of the time for multiple people--has the net between the back seat and the back. It can also be moved to behind the front seat, which I have done on trips with just myself (trips that typically involve...Home Depot). Our other car has no net that fits, just a hard metal thing we don't have. I always make sure the attaching thingy that covers the "trunk" is attached (is there a name for that thing?) when I drive and...
OK. Let's just say on fb I belong to "Moms Who Drink and Swear". But, generally, I try (and used to REALLY try) to not swear/use ANY bad words in front of the kids. It turns out--I didn't even realize--that one of my favorite phrases while driving was "Come on crazy lady, what are you DOING". Til we were out shopping and my then-4 yo announced, after a woman was taking FOREVER at the register making exact change, chatting up the clerk, so on and so forth as the...
corn--on cob or frozen (literally, like right out of the freezer); also in soups and chili, sometimes steamed peas--fresh from the garden (snap), raw snow peas, frozen (right out of the freezer!), or steamed green beans--fresh steamed or frozen steamed zucchini/yellow squash/patty pans--steamed, or in soup, or on focaccia swiss chard--in quiche, frittata, or torte (they won't eat it in soup!) spinach--in ravioli or lasagna carrots--steamed or raw, in soup celery--in soup...
I can't grow flowers. Every flowering plant I have either 1) came with the house or 2) was given to me by a neighbor or 3) may not make it yet (that would be my hibiscus). I even killed a star jasmine and am working on 4 agapanthus (aka lily of the nile). Flowers from seed? hahahahaha. Poppies--Shirley, CA golden, or poppy seed poppies. They get to be 3" tall and die. Sunflowers? All germinate, out of 10 maybe 2 will make flowers. And then tip over when a squirrel?...
I would. When we lived in Phoenix, my chard got frosted regularly. I think once the leaves actually froze. Now, I planted it in Oct and would have it for 2-3 years, so I don't know how seedlings would do. But I'd think fine. I planted my chard this year in Jan or Feb (great record-keeping I do!). I'm not sure it got frosted this year, but my 4-year-old plants have been frosted many times! Quote: Originally Posted by Carlyn Would it be okay to plant...
I think everyone I know who got theirs...planted a tree on top of it. : I couldn't get my first (argh hospital from hell). My second went to pathology to check for blood clots, and may have ended up as part of stats in a study re: blood clotting disorders.
I would recommend zucchini (a couple kinds--green, yellow, maybe pattypans too), swiss chard, and green onions. How large is your space? That will help you decide!
I did that 6 years ago. I now, finally, do not have arugula everywhere. Never, ever again! It was in all the plots, in the lawn, in the cracks of the driveway... it's a weed! I have the same issue w/cilantro, but it's much more logical to pull a small cilantro or 3 to use. Which I do all spring! Quote: Originally Posted by loraxc I left a few arugula plants standing because they've gone to seed and I thought it would be fun/interesting to save seed...
We opted for a Waldorf-inspired public charter school. Not only could we never hope to afford the Waldorf tuition, the school was also quite the daily commute, which we also had issues with. Dh also has a good job (tenured--not something you give up to move!) and makes plenty of money. I am a sahm. We can't afford fancy trips, fancy date nights, a gardener, housecleaner even 1x/month etc etc, but we have a good life and have no problems living within our means. We have a...
I am actually using those concrete landscape blocks. I am slowly raising the level--not overnight, just as the years go buy and I add compost and stuff it is slowly raising. I could, of course, I'm just not If I use untreated wood, I'll have to replace it every other year because of termites. I do not want to deal with that, and I don't want to use treated wood.