or Connect

Posts by craftymom

I have clayey soil here. (The kind that sticks to your shoes when it rains, and you end up 2" taller, and then the kids track it in...) Over the years I have added lots of compost. I started with organic compost from Lowe's. Now we have our own. I also added organic veggie fertilizers that I got at Armstrong (local garden center chain). I also added sand, but I can't remember what kind--but it was either from Lowe's or OSH. Not Home Depot, they'd probably try to sell...
Tortillas Cheese Eggs Frozen corn Onions Canned pintos beans (or leftover crockpotted dry ones) Trader Joe's green salsa I scramble eggs in a skillet, combine the onion and beans and heat in another. We then do make your own burritos. If we have avocados, tomatoes, or sour cream, those can go in too. This is also my favorite camping dinner--but I use one small skillet and do one person at a time.
We stopped going to community egg hunts several years ago. The kids were one thing. The parents were worse. Over 3 years we went to our neighborhood hunt, one in a wealthier area, and one on the beach. The parents were the same. The organizers all do a countdown: when they'd get to 3, parents would start SHOVING their kids (I'm talking 3 year olds!) "Go! GO!" to get in there first. Some parents would go in WITH their kids, which is prohibited over like age 2 (ours...
Our house was a livable pit when we bought it "a diamond in the rough", right? Built late 40s, never had anything done to it--other than the water heater moved outside and new vinyl in the kitchen. Why did we pick it? 1) The price was significantly below our budget, 2) we looked at A LOT of houses that had had mediocre or poor-quality work done (ugh!), 3) it wasn't on a corner, and 4) the lot was on the larger side for this area. Dh got tenure 4 years later, and we...
I have used beer--my husband is a homebrewer so I have tried fermented, not fermented, porter, hefeweizen, you name it. I gave up on beer and use sluggo. This is the greenest thing I have found that actually works. If it weren't for sluggo, I would only have chard, carrots, green onions, and garlic!
Yes! That's the only way we've ever grown garlic.
We keep toys in their room (2 boys, they share). The 3rd bedroom is the guest room/sewing room/office--it may turn into a boy's room later. It is the smallest bedroom. Games are in the living room coffee table and in leather-like storage boxes under the buffet. Books are in the living room, family room, and their room. Library book basket is by the front door. Toys do spread--right now there are legos all over the family room. They are actively playing with them,...
1st baby--low stress pg, high needs kid (not so much as a baby, but as a toddler to now at 9, yes) 2nd baby--high stress pg (high risk, medicated), happy go lucky kid Did not vote because I couldn't figure out how to do 2 kids!
My favorite is a gift card to Barnes and Noble or Borders, which are just about everywhere in the US. We have actually made these cards (I get $10 scrip cards at school) our go-to gift. The kids all love them because their parents (mostly) let them pick whatever book(s) they want. And no returns for anyone to deal with!
I love Old Navy. They are the only brand that consistently fits me (tall and thin but with hips). They have the only jeans that fit me at all, and they fit great, even the length is perfect. I wear their clothing into the ground, and pants/jeans last around 2 years, shirts 2-3. I don't have lots of clothes, so I wear things (esp. pants) 2-4x/week, with 2 washings/week. I don't buy their "work" clothes, I have no place to wear those I only shop in-store because I find the...