or Connect

Posts by craftymom

Your daughter may simply be finding children with different personalities. My older son is quite shy, and around ages 2.5-5 he would FREAK out when kids he didn't know would enthusiastically approach him. They scared him, because he just didn't get it. He also needs a larger personal space, and it was being violated (just as adults feel their space is violated, kids can too!). More than once we had to leave a park with him crying because he felt accosted. When he got to...
We have the Take-Along Castle. My ds5 got it last year. He looooves it. It can be a little hard to snap it all together, though. Like, I have to do it. That issue has resulted in several 5yo meltdowns. The good part of how it works is the pieces come apart, which my guy loves to do (often to make 2 castles fighting). Yes, the weapons come out of hands. That includes swords, guns, bows, and maces (they come with the castle). The weapons are small (mostly) and get lost...
My house is clean, but messy. As in, the floors are mopped and vacuumed, and the next day they are covered in Legos. My mil always says "my house was neat because I only allowed my kids to play with 1 toy at a time! If they wanted another, they had to put the first away." No, her house was neat because she's a task master and a neat freak and very controlling. Well, personally, I like the fact that older ds built a lincoln log shed for younger ds's trains. Or the...
kitchen--1.5 during the day, closer to a 1 evening/morning living room--less than 1 unless kids are playing bedroom--1.5 But there's only trash on the ground if the boys have torn up paper to use as garbage for trucks!
I couldn't check more than 1. Usually me, but ds 8 has started doing the toilets, sinks, and counters on occasion. If I waited til dh decided it needed doing....let's not go there.
At our school (K-8), hair dye, makeup, logos, media during the school week, and media images (on clothes, backpacks, lunchboxes) are all "strongly discouraged" through policy (intended) and peer pressure (unintended, parents are worse than kids!). It is my favorite school policy. (Never thought I'd have a favorite "policy"!)
My ds5 has been about 10% for height and below 5% (at times below 3%) for weight. His brother ds8 has long been Mr. 50-50, but at his last checkup he was 50-40. He had significant allergy issues--I had to eliminate ALL dairy, tomatoes, potatoes, and chocolate while nursing from about 5 months (we started eliminating and allergy testing at 4 months) til I weaned him at 15 months. When I weaned him, my BMI was below 18 (I am usually at 21 or so), and I was losing weight...
Absolutely. Of course, we never stay IN the house all day, and I don't have any interest in them riding scooters in their jams, nor do I want to garden in mine. Even if it's raining, we'll take a walk around the block. Getting dressed also shifts their attitudes a bit, and mine Like it is time to do something, even if it just baking or playing cards, or doing a cub scout requirement. If someone has the stomach flu or a high fever, they can stay in their jams all...
I have 2, going into 3rd and the 2nd year of a 2-year K. Our schedule is changing a bit this year--school starts 15 min earlier with staggered start, gets out at 1:45/2:30 for them (ugh!), and ds8 will have 2 (!) soccer practices a week for ayso. I suspect this will be his last year doing soccer. I am sahm, and spend the day doing any of the following: veggie gardening, crochet, gym, school volunteering (usually not at school), house cleaning, laundry, lawn mowing,...
Please don't feel I am being too blunt. I just don't want to right a novel, and I do feel strongly. It's not a family vacation or a family reunion if an entire generation is not invited. From your description, it sounds like your children are specifically being excluded. 10 days is a looooong time. I have an 8 and 5 yo, and I could not leave them for 10 days. Nor would I ever want to. Nor would anyone I know ask me to. And they would freak out if staying with anyone...