or Connect

Posts by craftymom

I can't help with the fruit, I think the texture suffers when it's cut too early. For guac, the easiest way to keep it from turning brown is to put it in a container and put plastic wrap flat on the guac and up the sides, no air bubbles. This keeps the air away from the guac. I used to work at a deli and prepped avocados every morning circa 6 am--this was how we kept the mashed avocado until the lunch rush! In the fridge, of course If you don't ever use plastic...
I would definitely take him for allergy testing immediately--whether you want to go NAET or standard (or both). He sounds like a child who doesn't feel well all.the.time. I would particularly look at corn, soy, dairy. You might also want to discuss other issues (like celiac or metabolic issues) that could cause someone to not feel well (and not BE well) but not show up on traditional allergy tests. My ds8 has a friend who has serious behavior issues with dyes. I know...
It sounds like you do need a break. Adding school for you will be too much. Part of being a fabulous mom is doing the best for the family. And you are part of it! And unhappy exhausted mom is not what they need. I say try public school. You may be surprised! I considered homeschooling for about 10 seconds (my older would never tolerate it for several reasons--strong-willed, stubborn, very shy, etc etc), and found a perfect public charter where both my kids are doing...
That's my husband's whole family. It is very exhausting and degrading. Only his grandmother (the last long-term SAHM) ever asks about ME. The others can't believe I have anything to do, any deadlines, etc because I am "at home all the time". Uh, no. And I never was "home all the time." My kids both in school now, and I do more deadline-oriented work now than, uh, when I got a paycheck. School faires, cub scout pr, you all know what I mean. It is easier for me to give my...
My ds8 received his scooter at Xmas at, I think, age 5, from his grandfather. He was very hesitant at first, but that's his personality. Now I don't like to watch him ride it We bought ds5.5 a 3-wheeled scooter at 3.5 because he kept trying to ride his brother's. He never got comfortable on the 3-wheeler (even his posture on it was awkward), and by 4 had figured out the 2-wheeler. So, we got him one at about 4.25. When he was 4.5 and we were camping, he finally figured...
Our school doesn't have a cafeteria (I am usually glad about this, but ask me on a tough morning), so I pack very different lunches every day. NO candy or straight-up desserts are permitted (1 homemade normal-sized cookie is okay). Both of my kids like their lunches cold. They also both won't eat pb (1 gets a rash, 1 hates the texture), and both hate jelly (yeah, my kids hate jelly). 1 is fairly picky--I never know what he will "like" on any given day, since it changes...
My 8.5yo ds is the "never happy" sort. Though I prefer to think of it as "the glass half empty." He is rarely satisfied. It's too crowded, too fast, too slow, too empty, boring, too hard, too red, in the wrong order, too easy, too quiet, too loud, too bright, he can't hear, no one will listen to him, etc. He's not a big whiner, though. Just the incessant (sp?) complaining--and sometimes it is just criticism. Of how his brother plays, how I wash the dishes, how dad mows...
I admit, with my ds 8's friends, we give a Borders or Barnes & Noble gift card almost all the time (and I buy scrip at school, which goes over really well with the parents!. We used to give a lot of books and legos, but it seems as they get older they already have everything or we don't know what they might really like that they don't have. I also feel like--at least for my kids--it is SUCH a treat and SO much fun to walk into a bookstore and get to pick whatever they...
I have 8 and 5 yo boys. What they really like: That Darn Cat! (the original with Hayley Mills)--great movie Herbie movies (2 and 5 are their favorites) Music Man Air Bud movies and Snow Buddies (esp. 5.5 yo) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original) But my kids hate Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (and so do I!), the Apple Dumpling Gang, and can't sit through Mary Poppins (boo hoo), and find Sound of Music scary (esp 8.5 yo). They have not seen Harry Potter, Pirates,...
This describes my 5.5 yo very well. Going to K has helped a lot, this summer will be interesting, if it's anything like the weekends now. My biggest problem with this behavior is that it makes it virtually impossible to get any alone time with my 8.5 yo. Especially at home, we usually have to go out somewhere, and then he just wants to go buy food and eat (that's another growing boy story!). On the weekends 5.5yo wants all mom all the time, and has for about 2-3...