or Connect

Posts by craftymom

Fort Huachuca is beautiful. Anyone who says there are no trees has simply never been there or bothered to research it, so not sure why they are so bitter? I HAVE been there, as a civilian--I believe they tightened up admittance after 9/11. It is in the town/city of Sierra Vista. Fort Huachuca is in the foothills/mountains...the Huachuca Mountains (some of the AZ sky islands mountains). BEAUTIFUL, and lots of trees. Oaks, pines--what kind varies by elevation. Some of the...
I am a SAHM to two in school--K and 2nd. We have no plans for me to go back to work anytime soon. Unless something WAH falls in my lap. What do I do all day? I do get that workout almost every day. I garden, cook, shop (mostly for groceries), clean, and create. I make objects to sell at the school fairs, and I make lots of handmade gifts for family and friends (mostly baby and housewarming, just those keep me on my toes!). I do genealogy research (I am interested in...
A friend of mine says this behavior is VERY typical of the 9th year (hers are both past this now). She is going to loan me a Waldorf-based reading on "the ninth year" (when they are 8)--when she finds it in her remodeling mess. I don't know the title, neither does she You can read a bit here: http://steineracademy.us/index-8.html This describes my son very well. Hypercritical is more like it Unfortunately, my mother is also hypercritical, it can be like listening to...
I am eager for suggestions too. My 8yo ds does the exact same thing. He'll even lie to me right to my face when he KNOWS I can see that he didn't do what he was supposed to do. Me, loading the dishwasher: DS, I need your breakfast dishes for the dishwasher! DS: I put them on the coun-ter. ME: I don't see them here, please check the table. DS: I did it. Me, walking to table, where he is sitting drawing: Please bring them now. DS: You (ds5, dad, the cat) brought them...
I think there are 2 facts here: very few will be 100% pleased with how someone else might raise our children. What does your husband mean when he says he "doesn't really like" your dad--does he just mean he wouldn't be friends with him if he lived next door, or that he would want to move to get away? Because we do have to choose someone. I think the most impt things here that you have mentioned: 1) your kids have a very close relationship with your parents, and it...
Mine are 8 and 5, if you count making dinner and all those details, as well as yard work, I probably spend 2-3 hours a day. About 1 hour while they are at school (usually vacuuming, mopping, bathrooms, the stuff that's so hard with kids running through). I often garden/pull weeds/mow/trim when they are riding bikes. Ds8 is in charge of feeding the cat, sometimes mows (push mower), both sometimes weed or vacuum, set table, ds8 chops some veggies.
I too have a sensitive ds--now 8. I don't have tons of advice, other than try to go with the flow and not make him feel like his behavior is wrong. For example, we had to give up on library storytimes because they wanted the kids to sit in the front, parents in the back (so all the kids could see)--my ds would NEVER do that at that age. Tomorrow he is going on his first playdate without me! Riding in their car! We have carefully chosen the friend and mom--I new they...
I try to contain toys to their room--other than books, games/puzzles, and trains. If the train table were in their room, they would have to walk on it My boys (8 and 5) share a room. The bulk of their toys are in there. The room is about 12x12, with 1 wall being a sliding-door closet. I have an 8-bin office organizer thing from Costco in the closet. They each have an IKEA dresser with the big bottom drawer for playmobil/lego. They are each in a 4-ft loft bed with the...
We got nothing incredibly strange, just the usual assortment that makes me go Which is the best? I can't choose. My parents gave me a fitted zip-up sweatshirt that is 2 sizes too big. Other than when actually pregnant (and then nursing) I have worn the same size since high school. When I lived in their house. That was 20 years ago. 20 years of the same size, and she thinks I am a M--in this style, XS would fit best, probably. She said "Try it on! Does it fit?" and when...
I only found this website in the last couple of years, and Mothering mag (which I actually don't read, as my kids are 8 and 5) after that. I had never held a baby before ds8 was born. I learned quickly that I did not like mainstream parenting mags--the paranoia you're doing it wrong thing or "try to find what's wrong with your kid!" just makes me angry. But we are not full-on AP types either. I just fit better here than anywhere else. I admit that Family Fun is my...