or Connect

Posts by craftymom

I don't think "closeness" is something you can predict or plan for. It has A LOT to do with personalities, and how those personalities play off each other. I can't believe I'm doing this, but to quote Sheryl Crow: "It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." I am the older of 2, way closer in age than our parents wanted (apparently it is my fault I took so long to conceive --good old brother came along right away). They played us off against each...
If this came out of nowhere, have you considered his ears? I don't have any idea of your dc's diagnosis (if there is one). My now 8yo ds, a late talker who went through a barrage of potential diagnoses (apraxia, aphasia, not autism, autism, etc), before he simply began talking (but received 2 years of speech therapy for articulation), would chew on his sleeves/collars when he had an ear infection. He would never complain of pain, he would just chew and chew. I think...
Ravelry is soooooo great! I spent like 2 whole days uploading stuff. Now I just add patterns to my queue : and read forums, and look at--well, everything! I am craftymom over there. Original, huh?
Believe me, I hear you. Loud and clear. I have very similar issues, but am happy to be living 400 miles from my parents. Though dh and I would both LOVE to live there, we are agreed we need to be a minimum of 100 miles away. (I am the bad child who moved away). We are here to support you! I just realized at my 20th hs reunion weekend that many (most?) of my problems in school were instigated/made worse by my mother. Not to hijack your thread. There are quite a few...
I read here all the time, but don't post too much. Only if I actually have something relevant to say! Or something asks for opinions Your kids ages: 2 boys, 8 and 5 What you did before you were a SAHM: academic editor/writer What your daily/weekly routine looks like: Up at 6:30. Pack gym bag, boys' lunches, get dressed; make sure they are fed and dressed appropriately. Leave for school at 7:40. MTTHF, at gym by 9 (may volunteer at school or run errands first). Shower...
I answered less than 1 hour, but none of the answers fit our family. My guys are 8 and 5. Sun afternoon thru home from school Fri, they watch no TV. When dh gets home, he will often put on football or whatever the sport-of-the-season is, and they typically do not watch that either (esp. my older one). We have 1 TV. Fri evening we often have family movie night. Our favorite is That Darn Cat! (the original). We netflix or check out of the library. They also can have...
Well, our neighborhood is 60 years old. The last original owner just moved out. Many of the houses are occupied by retired folks who raised their kids here. A few are occupied by not-retired people whose kids are in their twenties and out of the house. A few are occupied by young no-kids-yet couples (and one with a 6-mo-old ). One is owned by a local church that gets a new minister every 3 years, and the minister lives there. There are 3 families with kids not in...
Mine are 8 and almost 5. We rarely talk while he's at work. He's a teacher, so he can either be really easy or impossible to get. We call if we need to remind the other about something (meeting, school event, whatever). He is supposed to call me if he's going to be late, but he "forgets" and "didn't know he'd be late". (If you are leaving half an hour later than usual, you will get home a half hour later--which is after dinner, remember?) We definitely spoke more during...
Both of my guys went to the Y childcare. Many of their oldest/best friends are kids they met there! And two of my best friends are moms I met there. I would have gone crazy if I had to give up my step classes, especially after I had two--stroller power-walking was never something I enjoyed, and couldn't have done it with 2. My oldest went 4-5x/week (2 hours is their max per day per child) from 11 months to 4yo, my younger from 3 months to 4yo. They are both still age...
I don't like bragging either. My mother liked to brag about me too, and it was sooooo embarrassing, especially when she was tlaking to the parent of the child I KNEW did better than me or whatever. I was sooooo glad when my braggy neighbor moved. She even bragged about how they were off the top of the height chart (dad was well over 6 feet--DUH!). It's not that I mind hearing what others' kids are doing, it's the "Does your child do XXX? Mine Does!" and the perfect...