or Connect

Posts by craftymom

My kids are now older, but I never ever would have asked chatting moms, or on-the-phone moms, or exhausted-looking moms to help with their older kids' behavior. Why? Because when my older was very little (like 9 months in the sandbox) I saw my first mom-of-older-kid yell at another mom who asked her to help convince her child from stomping the younger ones' sand creations. You know, "This park is for everyone! My child can play too! They will get ruined anyway!" I...
Every child is so different. My older ds was 7 before he was dry at night (still wetting maybe 1 out of 10). He is now 8 and wets maybe once a month. He changes himself, then wakes me to get him set up on the couch. Ds 2 was 4 when he was dry at night. He is almost 5, and wets maybe 1/month. And he keeps sleeping, gets up in the morning, and says he's really sweaty SWEARS he didn't pee. They both get up and pee in the middle of the night, alone (I wake up!).
Edited cos I wrote too much no one cares about. My father was hyper-perfectionistic (I remember being spanked HARD when I was probably 6-8 because the cables on my socks weren't straight and we were going to church--and then whacked harder because I couldn't straighten them) and unavailable, other than for spankings and comparisons on how much smarter I should be (a B+ means it should be an A-, an A- means you should have gotten an A if you would only work hard like your...
--out to ice cream after dinner--or a smoothie/coffee --for a walk around the neighborhood, listening for "night sounds" and, generally, thing that are different at night --library if it's still open (ours is open 2 nights til 8) --I don't understand why you can't go to the park? Is it locked or otherwise closed at night? --the beach or a nearby hill/bluff/nature area/whatever --our Y has family swim til 8 2-3x/week --do your grocery shopping at night as a family!...
If you don't like rants, don't read this! I have been a SAHM for 7 years. I have 2 kids, 8 and 5. My mil had a family party this weekend, with all dh's cousins, aunts, grandparents, and our 2 kids (the only grandkids there, the other is under 1 year). So, his family is spread around a bit, but everyone there lives within 500 miles of everyone else. So, we don't see each other all the time, but 1-2x/year there will be a big gathering. All the adult cousins (dh...
This got long. I think it's just the way some people are. I think some professions require a certain amount of negativity, and the world takes all kinds. Engineers building bridges, those who insure odd things, lifeguards looking for the thing that's off--not that people with those jobs all have this personality (not trying to offend people!), but I think it HELPS. Those folks need to think of and find things that are "wrong" and things that might happen that no one would...
Check it out--each chapter is different. My biggest hangup is that you can only join the chapter whose area you live in. I tried to join when I had 1 infant--they would not return phone calls. Apparently--now that I know many people n the group--it was because they did not know who I was (I'd just moved here). So, they were screening for members! But, it worked out, because I know many people in this group now, and I don't much like them. They are too materialistic for me,...
Move. You need a buffer!! I have a similar relationship with my mother, and father as well. Nothing I have ever done has been good enough. She has told me my college education (which they did not pay for!) was a waste of $$ since I am just a sahm. She was, too. My brother, not quite 2 years younger, is their perfect child. He is over 35, single (with gf, they have decided to never get married or have kids), working a dead end job (on purpose), did a no-thesis masters...
WOW those are some big and gorgeous gardens. Mine is quite small (currently in 3 places--1 spot in front, 2 in back). Though I really cram my plants together to harvest more and keep moisture in. I just wish I got more sun. We have 2 different neighbors' trees that cast way too much shade and mess. 1 is a loquat, which I can live with (and eat from). The other is a coral tree (Erythrina lysistemon) that desperately needs trimming, which they will never do : Even when the...
I have 2 good chard plants--new this year, so they should last at least 2 more years! One is almost ready to harvest from. We will start carrots, peas, green onions, lettuce, kohlrabi, parsley. I want to try broccoli, which I have never had any luck with (bad, bad powdery mildew). Other than the chard, tho, there will be no real planning til Oct--or when the zucchini and green beans quit. Whichever comes later