or Connect

Posts by craftymom

We grew sunflowers successfully for the first time ever this year. The same thing happened to us. My 7yo was very, very sad. Sticky web stuff with "crumbs", and small striped caterpillars--he found some that were where the seeds should be. He harvested some that seemed fine, put them in an airtight container, and the next day they were all webbed together. Our seed heads went to the birds. They liked them!
We use the stomp method! We are having an especially bad year--maybe because it is so dry? We also have gazillions of crickets, which I guess the black widows are eating. They are sure eating something because I keep seeing "the biggest one ever." We have LOTS of spiders all in all, and it won't be spider season for another month or 2. I SOOOO hate spider season, when the jewel box spiders make those huge webs across walkways at face level. ick.
Try to find something with a test garden in a climate similar to yours (esp regarding heat and sunlight--you can provide water). My favorite is Renee's Garden (www.reneesgarden.com). They are in Felton, CA (in the mountains above Santa Cruz). They grow GREAT for me here--coastal SoCal. We don't often get hot, we don't have super-long summer days (too far south), and in May and June we may not see the sun for weeks! When we lived in Phoenix, I always ordered from...
This was our house when we bought it: http://www.antiquehome.org/House-Pla...Certigrade.htm Only turned 90 degrees and then flipped over. With a detached 2-car garage in back. And no fireplace or porch. Only we added on 1 bedroom and 1 bath, converted the not-a-bedroom-not-a-family-room into a family room (known in our neighborhood as "that weird room that everyone has"). And redid the kitchen and bath (after 60 years of termites, let me tell ya....) and rewired...
All the Way to the Ocean. My son's first grade teacher read this to them, and now we have it. http://www.allthewaytotheocean.com/Frameset.new.html This is a local publication, so you might not have seen it. It is relevant to streams and lakes too. I'm not big on the big-eyed people (too precious moments!), but it's a great intro to this sort of thing.
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I have read every one of them carefully, many more than once. Sierra and pb&j, I really appreciated your thought out responses--but I did appreciate all of them! One of the biggest things I learned at the day camp is that there is NO WAY I am sending my son to a sleepaway camp til he is 10 or 11 or 18 . It would be a volunteer-led camp as well, so I suspect it would be similar, but I wouldn't be able to tell! Now, he may...
My 7.5yo son loves: --bicycle and scooter; bike rides, preferably to somewhere (friends, Y, post office) --crafts. Usually not kits (other than spin art). paper, scissors, crayons, colored pencils, felt pens, tape, cardboard, glue, glue sticks, etc --playmobil (construction and city life) --toy cars and trucks from hot wheels to bruder --digging outside, making dirt cities and river systems with cars, trucks, shovels, and the hose. He uses sticks (or pieces of my...
Thank you for the responses so far. Based on the responses so far, I should clarify a few things: --the child's mother was there as a volunteer for 3 days, including the first. She spent most of her time with her child and the buddy. That meant I had 4-8 kids to myself, so I was not concentrating on the 2 she had covered. --this was a 5 year old child with an almost invisible developmental delay (and one of the youngest at camp). Not an adult or child with a strictly...
I had a strange experience this week, and am looking to mommas of high-functioning ASD kids for advice/reassurance/whatever. I volunteered 5 days last week with a day camp my 7yo ds attended. We were to emphasize the buddy system--constantly. For trips to the bathroom, trips to get a water bottle, get a left-behind shirt, etc. Now, this camp was no more than 300 yards long and 30 wide, but in a remote-ish setting, with wildlands and state park all around. We (meaning me...
I had been 30 for exactly 5 weeks when my first little guy (full term) was born.