or Connect

Posts by Minky

We cat-proofed our toddler's room by adding a simple lock on the outside that was too high for the cats to reach. However, we weren't using this solution while he was sleeping, just while we were out of the house because one kitty liked to pee on the toddler bed. Which was barely used because we were cosleeping, but I digress. I'd never lock a child into a room if they were walking, but if baby's too small to get to the door, is there any harm?
Our family has done this. Mom chilled out as the babies got older and became a full member of our 'cat family' once the babies went to their permanent homes.
Don't give them a sedative. My cats just veg out after realizing they can't get out of the carrier and we've flown with them many times. Some of my cats poop in the box, some don't. I've never done anything but put newspaper down. Just don't put anything into the box that it would be hard to throw in the washing machine if they do have an "accident."
They may be unwilling to stop free feeding. I know that my parents are. However, mixing the current cat food with a diet one is likely to result in the cats eating the diet food.
Our diabetic boy lived until 16. His kidneys failed, which I'm not sure if it was related to diabetes or not, but we had him euthanised because he was in pain. But he lived 6 years with diabetes and all we had to do was give him an injection. It was easy to give him the injection. You don't need to find a vein or anything, just grab his scruff and jab him. Good luck.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to keep a new indoor/outdoor cat inside for a week or two so it gets acclimated to the new place and sees it as home. I've always done this by keeping kitty in an unused room for a week or two, feeding, watering, using the litterbox in there, then introducing to the rest of the house, and then outside. All my sweeties are indoor only now, by the way, have been since we were living in Wisconsin where you can't let them...
Poor kitty. I'd probably move to a bedroom to get her acclimated faster if you've got one available. Give her some appropriate places to hide--maybe a cardboard box with towels in it like you would use for a mamacat. Stop picking her up by force unless you need to move her. Entice her out with tasty treats and stroke her if she'll let you. Go from there. It's taken our family years with this type of shy girl as well.
I'm so happy for you! I hope you'll let us know how and where you found him. Glad this one had a happy ending. :
So cute. Congrats!
I love cats. I have five cats and I consider them a part of my family. But if any of my "babies" lives became so miserable that they were unable to clean themselves, had teeth falling out, had constant painful bladder infections, I would have them put down. I would grieve, but I would do it. Explore the food sensitivity issue first, maybe see another vet, and if you can do a cat run or confine to one room for the rest of his life, I suppose you could do that. ...