or Connect

Posts by pers

I assume you mean that kids were vaccinated and the vaccine failed and they got the disease anyway?  But since we know that many vaccines can reduce the severity of the disease even when they don't prevent it, how can we know how they would have responded to the disease unvaxed?  But there is also an ethical problem allowing the child to be harmed by a disease that likely could have been prevented.  In our society now, you don't actually choose measles or the vaccine for...
 Occasionally they do, but a lot of stuff goes unquestioned, including the link to the blog that claimed a third MMR was added in 2011 as well as a regular adult booster, though to be fair that thread only got a few responses, so perhaps people just missed the paragraph?  I'm just annoyed over that one in particular because it was a fairly popular blogger who has a comment moderator to protect her from trolls and people who may question her (though stuff she feels she can...
 I understand where you are coming from and appreciate wanting a place to talk about how to deal with people pushing you to vax or looking for non-vax friendly doctors or just talking about life in general for non-vax families without having someone jump in to say "but you should be vaxing, why aren't you vaxing, here is why you should vax."   So from that standpoint, I get the reason for wanting a non-vax forum.  But, that is not all that gets posted there, and I do have...
 Isn't the NVICP just for the US?  So no, I don't think the numbers from NL, Canada, and UK would include them.  But NVICP has paid out about 2.7 billion over around 25 years.  There are have been roughly 4 million births each of those 25 years, so around 100 million kids born in the US over that time comes out to about $27 per kid.  Average medical care for a small outbreak of measles discussed above was over $1,000 per kid with most kids being well under that but one...
  Just came across the 10,376 number again in a current article which talked about it a bit differently, so went back to look at the full text and see what it actually was. This was not medical costs, it was cost of the wages for the hours spent tracking down contacts and quarantining poeple.   (I was having trouble copying from the full text pdf, so actually copied from http://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/content/125/4/747.full) So 16,163 in medical costs total, with almost...
 My interpretation is that there were 14 infants - 7 unvaxed but born to vaxed mothers, and 7 some vaxed/some not vaxed born to unvaxed mothers.  See my post just a few posts above for my T;LDR interpretation: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1399751/maternal-and-neonatal-vaccination-protects-newborn-baboons-from-pertussis-infection/20#post_17601076 Yes, if they are colonized, they can still spread it (though how many people can a newborn spread it to?), but the main...
Thanks, Teacozy.  I haven't read the longer one yet, but the conclusion of the abstract was basically my concern:  So it appears that increased maternal antibodies does interfere with how effective the vaccine is :(  But if it is, as they say, slight and temporary, then it seems the benefit of providing protection for the first couple months when pertussis is most dangerous may indeed outweigh a small decrease in protection between the initial series and the booster. 
 Numbers going up in 1971 do make sense.  Prior to measles vaccine, it was mostly young children who were not immune, then some older children, and most teens and adults were immune.  After vaccination with one dose, it shows around 40% or so of kids were not vaxed, though some of those would be kids who actually had had measles so would be immune anyway.  But because the vaccine did cause measles numbers to drop so dramatically, but 1971, you would have had many kids in...
 But there is a gray area when it comes to religious beliefs or parental beliefs which conflict with the welfare or rights of others.  Your religion calls for you to shun medical care so treat your cancer or appendicitis with prayer, well, okay, that sucks, but your body and your religion, and your choice. Your religion calls for you to do the same for your children though, okay, now here we have a problem. You believe that homeopathy or chiropractic care is better for...
 FDA writeup SUCKS.  It is confusing.  Big fail to whoever wrote it.  This part from the top of the FDA writeup link says that there were both vaccinated and unvaccinated mothers -   Also this bit from the abstract linked from the OP shows more babboons -  So it looks like there were actually three separate groups, infants born to vaxed mothers but not vaxed themselves, infants born to unvaxed mothers then vaccinated, and infants born to unvaxed mothers then left unvaxed....