or Connect

Posts by pers

But apparently I won't try that hard since the bit in bold was supposed to read "I think each of you" but apparently I left the "think" out. Oops.     Also, above that, "pot" was supposed to be "post."   I probably shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard some days.  
Quick recap of the parts of this thread that I understand, starting from my first post:   - I try to make a post about how deadly inhaled anthrax is, but before posting I click back to just after "inhalation" to clarify that it's the "worst sort," only I somehow replace "inhalation" with this instead of putting it after, so my post no longer makes sense.   - pek64 points out that my pot is wrong   - Rachel appears to realize what I meant.   - pek64 says...
  Well, for starters, he never makes any claim to being infallible, and he's Orac, not Oracle.     This is what he's named after:     Or as he puts it in his bio:  " That Orac has chosen his nom de blog based on a rather cranky and arrogant computer shaped like a clear box of blinking lights that he originally encountered when he became a fan of a 30 year old British SF television show whose special effects were renowned for their BBC/Doctor Who-style low budget look,...
  Yes, again, it was my fault for being confusing.  I was only talking about inhalation anthrax, of which there were 11, but since I accidentally left out that very important word and instead wrote, "anthrax, the worst sort," it was not really clear that I didn't mean all types, which was 22.  Again, sorry for the confusion.       Those attacks may tell us something about how many of those who inhale anthrax in an attack to expect to die (though it is a small sample), but...
Oops, yes was talking about inhalation anthrax, but somehow managed to omit that word.  "even with prompt treatment, anthrax, the worst sort... "  should have read "even with prompt treatment, inhalation anthrax, the worst sort..."   Sorry for the confusion.    Also, I found this on Dr. Green's site:  "Stanford researchers found that patients who received antibiotics early in the course of the disease had a reduction in mortality down to 14%. (Holty et al. Abstr...
I don't think they are really worried about running out of antibiotics.  The problem is that even with prompt treatment, anthrax, the worst sort, still has a pretty high mortality rate.  Nearly half the people in the Anthrax attacks in the US a little over a decade ago died.    It makes sense to me that the people responsible for ensuring we are prepared for these possible attacks want to do everything they can to ensure that is the case.    However, I really...
Here is an article with a bit more data:  http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-autism-20130321,0,4801274.story    Two parts that combined are rather telling:           Kids who were 8 for 2008 data would have been born around 2000 and would be 13 or so now.    A rate of 1 in 88 is 1.1%.   This is considerably less than the 1.8% for youths 14 to 17, all who would have been born prior to 2000, some as early as 1996.    Unless kids are actually coming down with autism...
Oh my goodness.  The reporter doesn't seem to understand what eugenics means.  Being concerned about overpopulation humans in general is not eugenics.  Supporting programs that make effective birth control and family planning services available to allow women to have control of their own fertility is not eugenics.   Recognizing that people who have every reason to expect their children will survive to adulthood tend to choose to have fewer children and so programs such as...
  From the WHO vaccine coverage link, it appears that coverage for most vaccines was over 90% (and higher for some) in the mid-90's.  They fluctuate up and down a bit, but some do go up a few percentage points overall over the next decade.  Are you saying that a rise in vaccination rates of a few percentage points is the main driving force behind autism rates rising not by a few percentage points but by a factor of 160?  How is that possible?     Though it also appears...
I'm starting snapdragons, pansies, ivy geraniums, and strawberries (small variety similar to wild strawberries that does well first year from seed) this week.  Really.  I have been saying this since mid-january, but it's actually happening this week.  Really.  (My tall rocket snapdragons didn't bloom until almost August last summer, so I swore I'd start them in January this year... oops)   I'm starting bell peppers too as it's getting to be about time.  I may start a...