or Connect

Posts by pers

Are you kidding?  Thorsen is going to end up in jail.  Wakefield did not.  Research dollars are hard to come by, and Thorsen's theft hurt other researchers - he will be ostracized. Yes, the story probably will go away eventually because he certainly isn't the first guy to steal a million dollars and get caught. It's newsworthy, but hardly the story of a century.     Again, the problem with Wakefield was with his unethical and fraudulent science.  It made big news...
  I'm not familiar with Modern Tide so have no idea how reliable it is.  Not to mention, I don't read the original language, and while Google translate is a wonderful thing, it worlds with multiple meaning or different connotations depending on context often trip it up and change the meaning quite badly.     Also note from the Reuters article that Thorsen moved to Denmark to take this position in 2002.  To quote from the link I posted above:           Go take a quick...
  Yes, the research actually did get done, and it is one of the major pieces of research on vaccines and autism, though certainly not the only one.   Most of the research was probably complete well before Thorson was even in charge of the CDC grant.     Funny thing is, back before his theft was discovered and became news, Thorson wasn't really mentioned.  His part was too minor.  All articles, both mainstream and anti-vax alik, focused on the main authors of the study....
Differs by province.  In Alberta, school registration forms do not ask about vaccines, and there are no vaccine requirements to attend school.  I'm pretty sure some other provinces do have vaccines requirements, but I'd have to look up which ones.    Here, vaccines given to infants and preschoolers are given at public health clinics. Nurses come to the schools to administer vaccines to grade 5 students (HPV and hepatitis B) and grade 9 students (dTap and...
    Or perhaps all the fear circulating around Gardasil is the reason why there are so  many death reports to vaers.     119 deaths sounds pretty scary until you start looking the reports.     A surprising number of them are really just passing on rumors, and of no value at all.  For example:                     Those are just a few.  There are several more "I read an article that said girls died," or "I read on the Internet that a girl died," or "I heard from my dental...
It's good that things like this are recorded and looked into to see if there is a pattern of it happening that may indicate cause and effect.  However, a single report of something like this does not a relationship make.  Premature ovarian failure is rare, but it does happen, and has been happening for a lot longer than Gardasil has been around.  The cause is unknown in 90% of all cases.  This particular case would be among that 90%.     Also, Vaers is intended to serve...
    Wow, can Mike Adams ever spin things to fit his agenda.     The most relevant bit from that link:             Yes, his shocking revelation is that most HPV infections do not cause cervical cancer.  Apparently this was news to him.  I'm pretty sure that it is not news to anyone else.  After all, don't we know that over half of all sexually active women have been infected with HPV at one point or another?  And yet, the rates of cervical cancer are much, much lower than...
  Bleeding is good, but it doesn't absolutely guarantee that all tetanus spores are washed out of the body.  
  The second shot was added primarily to catch the 5% or so of people who didn't respond to the first shot, not due to fear that the measles vaccine would wear off.  After two shots, only 1% or 2% are still not immune compared to 5% after just one shot.  That it functions as a booster is a secondary benefit, but it wasn't the primary purpose.     There is some concern that measles immunity may wane eventually since the disease is no longer circulating in the community to...
  Where is the 1% statistic from?  Which vaccines were counted?  If a person skips a recommended flu shot one year, are they now part of the 99% who are not up to date?    You really can't make a blanket statement like that.  When considering herd immunity, you need to look at the individual disease.  IIRC from statistics I've seen in the past, one of the vaccines adults were most likely to not be up to date on was tetanus.  This may put the individual at risk if the last...