or Connect

Posts by pers

Just to clarify, this is not a private school.  It is the entire system of Catholic schools in Calgary, which educates about 1/3 of Calgary's school children.  There is no tuition.  While some funds come from fundraising and from the church, most of it's budget comes from government funds, same as the public system.     Gardasil is free for school age girls in Alberta, so free or reduced cost vaccines are not needed for this age group.  Neither Gardasil or any other...
  But that was over a hundred years ago. Then it may have just been a name (and the similarity of the sores on the hand to smallpox sores, and the observation that people who worked closely with cows were more likely to be spared in smallpox outbreaks), and yeah, it was a longshot, and many similar observations were dead wrong.  But even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and all that, and sometimes the crazy sounding theory turns out to be true, and now we can have a...
Look into square foot gardening. It's basically gardening in 4 foot by 4 foot by minimum six inch boxes divided into sixteen square feet.  It is supposed to use Mel's mix (Mel being the guy who wrote the book) which is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, and 1/3 vermiculite and can work out to less money than traditional potting mix (but not always, depends on the price of potting soil and the price of components).  There is a book just titled Square Foot Gardening which your...
I like to freeze a lot of crockpot-ready meals.  So many crockpot soups and stews require you to do a bunch of pre-cooking of onions and carrot and such before adding the main liquid ingredients.  So I'll do all that, then cool the results and transfer to a freezer bags instead of the crockpot.  It's easy to do very large batches this way, and I can get food ready for as many as three or even six meals (depending on how much needs to be precooked and can fit in one pan)...
    Ah, well since it could happen theoretically, it certainly could happen to you.  All the same, it may be worthwhile having your kids titres tested before assuming for sure that they are now immune to measles and not roseola or something that is easy to mistake for measles from just a photo of the rash.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the only way to know the strain of the measles is to test for it during the infection, titres will just show that there has been measles...
  Measles.  There are no documented cases of vaccine strain measles spreading from a recently vaccinated child.  Yes, vaccinia, FluMist, and the chickenpox vaccine certainly can be passed on (with varying degrees of risk of that happening), and I believe Rotateq too.  I was wondering if the poster I was responding too actually could be the first documented case if she knew for sure that she had vaccine strain, or if she was jumping to conclusions that it must be from a...
  Vaccine strain measles would be expected to be a lot milder since it is an attenuated virus.  However, while virus has been found in urine and swabs from recently vaccinated children and so in theory could be passed to someone else, there are no documented cases of this happening.     Do you actually have blood tests showing that it was vaccine strain rather than wild?  There were a few cases of wild measles in Texas in April.. if it was early summer, could it have...
Tried red lentil soup with lemon for dinner tonight.  Very good - one of my favorite soups now.  It's the toasted almond slivers that really make it special.  
I thought you believed the individual had the right to make their own medical decisions, and the state shouldn't be able to decide for them?
My three are vaxed.  None have had it.  Older two have been exposed on at least one occasion (playing at a friends house right before he broke out in spots).  Time will tell whether they do eventually or not.