or Connect

Posts by pers

The hottest day ever recorded in Fairbanks Alaska was 94 degrees in 1991.  Imagine, for a second, that someone used that point as a starting point for a graph, ignoring all colder weather that occurred before (including the coldest ever temperature that had been many years before), and then used a typical winter day of -10 or so a couple years later as an end point, with only a typical fall day as a mid point between them, not showing any of the other temperature ups...
  Absolutely the risks of the smallpox vaccine (probably the most dangerous vaccine ever in widespread use for humans) outweighs the risks of a disease that now only exists in a few frozen samples.  Just to clarify, you can not get or spread smallpox from the smallpox vaccine.  The vaccine actually infects you with vaccinia, a disease that is closely enough related to smallpox that immunity to it also protects against smallpox.  Vaccinia usually says localized to the...
I am going to try this too this year.  I start seeds under lights every spring, and I keep a light on in winter to overwinter a few flowering plants, but I've never tried to grow food completely under them before.     My plan is to grow a little spinach, romaine, and mesclun mix in those rectangular plastic containers you can buy salad from the store in with holes punched into the bottom, to be harvested as baby leaves, mostly, rather than full grown plants.  I also...
  When infant and child mortality goes down, and parents can be pretty certain of their children living into adulthood and most likely outliving them, the birth rate (and thus population growth) falls.     Vaccines, clean water, sanitation, and self-sufficient agriculture are all means of lowering child mortality.     You may not agree.  But this is what Bill Gates and others mean when they talk about population growth and vaccines.  It is not at all eugenics.  
  Yep.  And what's worse, the same dastardly folks also use clean water projects, sanitation projects, food and animal donations, and help setting up agriculture to increase populations ability to produce their own food as other means of population control. I expect you to start speaking out about the horrors of these at any time, right?  
  Because vaccines are not 100% effective.  For example, for every hundred babies that get a single dose of measles vaccine, 95 will be protected (and so indeed for them it won't matter who around them is also protected) and 5 percent will still be vulnerable and thus dependent on others immunity to keep the disease from reaching them to infect them.  After the second shot, this rises to 98 protected and 2 still at risk.     For a 98% effective vaccine, with high enough...
Of course food and clean water is the most important thing!     So if  her group brought food and water and nail polish to that one village, why are they not doing so for all of Uganda? Why are they leaving others without?  
Bring him in the shower.  We do have tubs, but my toddlers frequently showered with me from the time they were a little over a year or so, mostly so I wouldn't have to wait for nap time or my husband to come home to shower.  
  You phrased it as a question to me, so I answered it, but yes, sorry, you are right about the forum.  My original intention in posting in this thread was not to argue in favor of rotavirus vaccine, just to correct the mistaken impression left by another post that women were actually being told to quit breastfeeding and give their babies formula for a vaccine to work.  
  Because hundreds of thousands of babies die each year of rotavirus.  Because just because antibody levels are typically higher in the breastmilk of women in developing countries doesn't mean each individual women will have high levels - some just by chance may not have been exposed to rotavirus in a long time.  Because breastfeeding does not provide 100% protection - while it helps a lot, breastfed babies still do get sick from time to time, sometimes very sick (and no,...