or Connect

Posts by pers

Wait... he wrote an article about himself, referring to himself in the third person?  That seems just a little odd.    Shingles vaccine has been around for a few years now.  It is approved by the FDA for age 50 up, but is only on the adult schedule for a ages 60 and up.  The elderly have always had a fairly high risk of shingles.  
Yeah, it's based on studies that show mixed feeding is the most dangerous in terms of HIV transmission.  So they want the kids either only breastfeed or only on formula/other foods not both at once any more than can be helped.    But that's in areas where the risk of not being able to access a steady supply of formula or the risk of formula mixed with dirty water outweighs the risk of HIV transmission.  In developed nations clean water and social problems to help...
I suppose there could be some ethical debate about giving it to a kid if a parent requested it in order to ensure that their kid never smoked - would it be allowed?  But everything about this vaccine says that it is being made to help smokers quit, not to prevent them from starting.   I seriously doubt that it would ever even get approval for testing in children, much less ever be used in them.     My grandparents struggled with quitting from before I was born, but...
I think I would.  I vaxed for it, but chickenpox is the one vaccine that I very seriously considered skipping (and am still not 100% sure of) or at least waiting until my kids were older to see if they got it before getting to the ages where it is a higher risk.  If I hadn't though, I would have felt really, really bad about deliberately getting sick and making them suffer, and be devastated if they end up being one of the rare serious cases and I'd caused that... but I...
Mirzam, does that contradict anything I wrote above? I know that people weren't terrified of measles back then, and I don't think anyone should panic when an outbreak happens now.  However, I also know that a few hundred people died each year in the US from measles, and now they don't - isn't that a good thing?     You may not have known anyone to die of it, but In England and Wales, there were 152 deaths in 1961, the year of the Flinstones episode, and 39 in 1962,...
To be eaten with a fork:   - Cook some soba noodles (though it works with spaghetti or rotini or whatever too, if you don't have any) and stir-fry whatever vegatables you think would be good (including lost of bell pepper!)  Toss with peanut sauce and eat cold.    - Sweet potato and quinoa salad.  I add a cup or so of frozen corn when I add the sweet potato, use at least a whole can of beans instead of their paltry amount, and make sure to have extra lime juice...
It is a screencap from the TV cartoon, not a printed comic strip, so yes, the audio had to be photoshopped on as text.  It is likely accurate though - sounds like something Barney Rubble would say.   Though considering they had no problems with their kids playing with clubs, riding on dinosaurs, or riding unrestrained in their car, I think their views of safety and risk may be a bit skewed from mine.           Benign?  Really?  Tell that to Roald Dahl whose daughter died...
    Who is encouraging HIV moms to breastfeed?  Where?   I mean, outside of third world countries where the risks of formula mixed with unlcean water or not being able to access/afford enough formula can outweigh the risks of HIV.  But you make it sound as if the recommendation was changed for HIV positive mothers in general, even in areas with safe water and where formula is readily available. 
  Because people want to know what research/evidence he bases his opinions on.  And while the article has a few mentions of a "'steady accumulation of evidence' from scientists worldwide that the measles, mumps and rubella jab is causing brain damage in certain children,"  Wakfield is the only source actually given a name, and thus the only source we can evaluate.
Sure, vaccinated children have 2-5 times more illnesses, and Stephen Colbert is the 69th most beautiful woman in the world.  These are the sort of things that happen when you gather information through an internet survey filled out by random people and heavily passed around anti-vax sites or Maxim readers, respectively.   They are still collecting data, so if you want to be a part, you can fill it out however you want and as many time  as you want by going here:...