or Connect

Posts by pers

Are you going to start protesting clean water projects and programs to end hunger next? Those help reduce population growth in the exact same way as vaccination programs.If you want more people to choose to have fewer children, they need two things to start: 1: the knowledge and tools necessary to have some control over their own fertility, and 2: the expectation that the children they do still have will survive to grow up.Areas with low child mortality rates tend to have...
 Your argument was that vaccines were completely ineffective and diseases were already vanishing before they had vaccines.  This is a question of incidence rates.  The measles vaccine is clearly quite effective in preventing measles.  I brought up several posts ago that deaths rates had already gone down substantially prior to vaccines due to a combination of better living condition an better medicine.  But, for diseases that still circulated freely, while the death rate...
(disclaimer: this is my layman's understanding of things, so take it with a grain of salt. Plenty of books on biology or anyone who actually works in bio-tech or medicine could probably explain it better/with more accuracy)   When they attenuate a virus, they are basically creating a new sub-strain of the virus, one that can't reproduce very well in human cells, but is still close enough to the original that when your immune system encounters it it recognizes it as...
 Those graphs are all death rates, not incident rates.  Please read my previous post again.  As I said in it, yes, mortality rates from many diseases were going down long before vaccines due to improved general health, living conditions, and better medicine.  There are also diseases which can be controlled through safe food handling and water treatment such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery, and yes, these diseases were going away due to better sanitation. I said all this...
 By testing it to see which strain it is.  By PCR assay, I believe, because the genetic code is a little different for each of the wild strains and each of the vaccine strains.  Don't ask me to explain exactly how the test works though as it's been close to twenty years since I learned about them in biology and that was just the basics, but they have been able to identify different strains of virus for a long time.   This is the same way that they knew that the polio...
 I would have thought it was a little optimistic to call it a short term plan, but now I'm reading that they hope to get rid of all wild polio by the end of 2014 (hope recent outbreaks haven't put a dent in that) and all polio by 2018, so perhaps we are talking short    Short or long term, the plan is to use oral polio to eradicate wild polio virus because it is a far better choice for doing that then to switch to IPV everywhere once wild polio is gone (which will require...
 The long term plan is to use OPV partly because it is cheaper and easier to administer but mostly because it is more effective and prevents transmission better than IPV.  It also has the benefit of being able to indirectly immunize people who were not given the vaccine - if Suzy is immunized with OPV and Billy is is not but then when they play together, Suzy passes the oral polio virus to Billy, they are both now immune.  This only becomes a problem when it is not just...
 No, VPDs in general were not vanishing significantly long before vaccines.   Some diseases which we don't vaccinate for which are spread by contaminated water and such were disappearing to to modern sewers and sanitary practices.  TB does not spread very easily so is mostly a risk in long-term crowed living conditions, so improved standards of living caused a decline in it.  The ability to treat TB also decreased the spread of the disease - before antibiotics an...
 The vaccine schedule is different for different level of risk.  This is why health care workers or other at higher risk of exposure to certain diseases are supposed to get extra vaccine that are not recommended for the rest of us.  I'm up to date on vaccines. My last polio vaccine was over thirty year ago.  It is probably still protecting me, but even if it isn't there is an extremely low risk of polio exposure here right now.  No vaccine is 100% though, so if there was...
 Vaccine defenders do not have a hive mind.   That there has been an increase in autism due to kids who would have just been considered a bit odd a few decades ago being labelled as on the spectrum now and kids who would have been diagnosed with mental retardation or whatever now being labelled autistic is generally agreed on.  There is disagreement though as to whether this accounts for the entire increase though or whether there are actually are more people with autism...