or Connect

Posts by kijip

Quote: Originally Posted by shaywyn I have to agree with Kreeblim. I agree. I was homeschooled in middle school. Age 12-14. Stayed home a lot alone during the day. I was fine and did just fine with school when I returned to high school. I was in no way neglected.
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Congratulations. You're the first c-section mom I've heard say that. I've talked to quite a few moms who had vaginal births and whose sex lives improved, but never a mom who had a c-section (or more than one). I'm another one. 2 c/s- one after full dilation and hours of pushing, one after a scheduled due to medical need (we had planned for a VBAC at a birth center but I developed severe pre-eclampsia). ...
Quote: Originally Posted by lotus.blossom I bet that $100/month was a typo. I didn't notice that either at first. You could eat a whole lot of Ramen noodles and koolaid on that budget! I hope so! But I have too often read of families actually angling for budgets that are far too low. Which, growing up poor and on food assistance I don't understand. Thankfully, I am super comfy now money wise. But even if I was not, I would feed my family...
A downpayment on a 60k home is not $7000, it is $12,000. A downpayment on a 120k house is $20+ k alone. You do not, and will not have the money to buy this or any house right now. Rent, get out of debt and save towards that goal in the future.
Quote: Originally Posted by greeny We live in a suburb just outside of Chicago. We have recently decided to work HARD to pay off debt. Our goal is to spend no more than $100/month on groceries. Obviously, organics won't be bought often for the time being, but I just discovered our local Aldi has some good stuff, like frozen wild caught salmon for $3.99/lb. Some other stuff that looks good too. That is 66 cents per day per person. That is not...
I agree with velochic. Taking them to work less in school makes some sense. Taking them to pay other debt is technically fraud. It's a very murky area. And you are stuck with that debt forever, unless you both became wholly disabled.
Do you have medical insurance? Chantix is a drug that can help people stop smoking. It worked for a number of people I know. What would you need to do to get rid of the car? Your car payment is totally a budget buster, even if you have it for 2 years, please don't buy it after, the payment over 5 years would be about the same as your lease payment. You simply can not afford that. By means of comparison My family earns about 3 times as much as yours and I don't...
Get rid of most of your clothes. We only have about 1/2 to 3/4 of a load per person and that is a huge help. Make a list of what you need and shop for it in your closet and laundry. Everything else goes to goodwill. Even if everything is dirty, we can get it done in 4 loads (clothes for 4 people in 2 loads, sheets and towels in another load and diapers/cloth in another load) Like the family closet idea but we have no such space for one anywhere in our tiny house.
for me: 5:50AM group boot camp fitness classes outdoors, occasional pedicures. for my husband: the occasional gadget, yard stuff. for our kids: occasional take out dinners, legos for my older son, books for both. For all of us: 1 bigger vacation a year, a few smaller trips each year. We are very financially comfortable and would cut all of the above if needed.
My husband and I both work out of the home. I work full-time (salaried, flexible position where I set my own schedule) and my husband works and studies a combination of full-time. For a variety of reasons, we decided to home-school our 7 year old after 2 years of school. He is doing great with it and we love it so far over all. We split the instruction up- while we each work on everything at times, I do most of the math/logic/reasoning, history and language arts...