or Connect

Posts by kijip

A few boxed sets of Brand New Readers and lots of reading together of all sorts of books was what clicked it together for my early reader.
We have really enjoyed a few of the "If you lived..." books. There is one on the San Francisco Fire, Civil Rights Movement, Civil War, Covered Wagon westward bound etc. I think they are pretty balanced (for example the American Revolution one talks about what life was like for each the loyalists and the patriots vs. simply idealizing the patriots and it also highlights that at least of 1/3 of european americans living during the war were neither patriots or loyalists and...
Here's the questionaire: How long have you been homeschooling? My son is newly 7 and went to K and gifted/accelerated 1st at school. We did a lot of afterschooling by default those two years. We decided to homeschool in June and did some stuff over the summer, but just started more formally in the last 3 weeks. So my long winded way of saying "NEWBIE". How old are your children? 7. We also have an 21 month old at home. What grades would they be in? 2nd, but...
If you are going to be a SAHM, you need to change the equation somehow. He needs to earn more money or you need to have less expense. Doubling his income seems impossible. I don't see how he can support 4 kids total on $13 an hour. On the expense side, housing is the biggest. Could you get into low income housing? Can you share a place with family members or roommate? What other bills do you have besides housing, utilities and food?
If someone is not paying taxes I bet they are not licensed and not in full compliance with all state laws. I also worry that it is more likely they: -They are uninsured. -don't do full background checks on helpers. -Dodging taxes and legal registration requirements for a reason. -Pay helpers under the table, depriving them of SS credits and things like UI eligibility. I would never use a care provider that did not run a fully legal, fully registered...
If you like behind the scenes scheduling and stuff, I am wondering why school admin is a no-go? Like at the district offices? Here, library jobs are extremely hard to come by. Even shelving. If you can get that job, take it. I do think you can make it work, but it will involve a lot of change. How much change are you willing to go for?
What can you do to increase your income/reduce your other expenses. Can you get a job when your husband is at home for awhile and throw all that towards your debt? Can you get rid of car payments by replacing your cars with beaters? Because of the very high rate, I would consider a consolidation to reduce the interest rates. Some companies will drop to zero or under 8% if you enter a debt management plan. It's not ideal, but you are right that you are just going...
Quote: Originally Posted by confustication I always worry when parents (particularly early on) are excited to have a 'gifted' child. It's really important to understand that it's not a whole lot different than wishing a learning disability on your child. Just accept who your child is and let her take the lead. Asynchronous development gets pretty complicated, and it's frustrating for the child to be able to read and understand things he/she isn't...
Well Olive Garden is already on my "yuck" list, this just reinforces it.
I get that the firing of Ms Allen was legal, what I don't get or believe was that it was just or reasonable. Ms. Allen's employer could have offered her some flexibility on seeing why she needed the different break schedule. The idea keeps popping up that it's not the perfect case or the perfect situation. What you have is a mother, making the relatively low wage with very little autonomy within the workplace who despite the barriers faced by breastfeeding mothers in...