or Connect

Posts by kijip

We use Clearwire. It is around $40 after taxes. We have 2 laptops that connect wireless-ly and use a lot of bandwidth hogs (like iTunes) but so far we have not had any issues. Before that we had Verizon DSL which was cheaper ($25?) but we constantly had to reset it in the middle of internet sessions and woe to anyone downloading a video...
Quote: Originally Posted by wannabe Ah, now I get it - purely psychological. Thanks, that was really bugging me to understand : I think it is more than that- it is practical and frugal to pay cash for things and be prepared for emergencies with something else besides a debt instrument if at all possible. Many people that are getting out of debt effectively have little to no access to credit anyways because hitting the bottom (maxing out,...
Honestly the other may want off the hook on the money thing. I think it is possible to change the group culture a bit without making a big issue of it. Host the next activity at your house and make it cheap (like cook everyone a nice, inexpensive dinner and bring home a movie from the library). Then mention that you are making pizza crust for next week and how about you each bring a topping the next week. We fell into the same pattern with a group of friends- weekly...
Quote: Originally Posted by CarrieMF Keep the Camry. First it is worth more than $12000. We have a 2000 & could sell it for $13,000-$14,000 with 129,000 K on it. Really? I recently bought a 2005 LE with side curtain airbags front and rear, and a few other bells and whistles for $14,000ish from a dealer (so no private owner discount) that had under 40K miles. It is in perfect condition, as verified by my own mechanic when we checked it out...
I would be inclined to stay in the house, and sell the Volvo and then pay off the other debt (about $3500) over time, as much as you can. Mainly because I think I could pay off $3500 in a few months if I needed to. However another option, not yet mentioned, would be to sell the Camry and the Volvo and then use the $15,000+ generated by that to eliminate the debt, put $1-2K aside for savings and purchase a reliable, older Camry or Corolla (say a 1996-1999) for around...
We trade friends for babysitting services so we can have a night out/off without paying a sitter $$$. Added bonus is that kids get two built in playdates. We also do a lot of what has been mentioned and it helps a lot. We buy dry spices at the restaurant supply store. Lasts for a LONG time. Nice to have fresh but dried can be used for soups etc and is A LOT cheaper if we don't grow it. Getting together with friends at home rather than making plans that...
The laws that govern this vary from state to state. In some states, insurers can not look at credit reports unless the insured consents. When we finally consented, our rates dropped. Still, I live in a state where they can't get my credit report for auto insurance unless I let them. Perhaps insurance scoring is a way to try and get around these laws in states like mine.
For those without freezers: Even just menu planning a few weeks in advance, based on sale prices, will help. Make a list of staples you can store and then a shopping list of perishables for a few days at a time. It is cheaper than shopping for dinner by the night or take out for sure. Also, one dish can have multiple incarnations over a week. Make a pot of spaghetti sauce. Have pasta for dinner. Then the next night have lasagna. Then have pizza. Then use it for...
Because I want those emergency-needed tires to be mine outright and not pay interest on them. We have no debt at all aside from the mortgage so we use the emergency fund for emergencies. If we had debt, I would be inclined to pay it off prior to saving a lot in an emergency fund. I would reckon that the idea for people in debt turning it around to have a small emergency fund is to wean off the idea that emergency = debt spending.
Quote: Originally Posted by alaskanteach I would like to add that it is not JUST this forum, either.. go to diapering, and it seems like almost everyone has their own stash selection of fussybutts.. the only thing that finally finalized for me that not ALL of mothering is that way, is that I stop by the trading post, and there are mamas there begging someone to buy their stuff because a bill came up.. on the one hand, I have been there when something...