or Connect

Posts by Super Pickle

2/12  $$ on Divine chocolate bars for my kids for Valentines Day 2/13  groceries 2/14   2/15 gas 2/16  2/17    playspace ($5); tea; unnecessary groceries; DH's prescription meds   This week's successes include making school valentines from craft materials on hand and resisting the urge to eat out/order out when I didn't feel like cooking.     DS really needs a haircut and I'm going to try to do it myself. if I make a mess of it we'll be goin' to Great Clips. 
1 disliked headband 3 curtain rods 1 coloring book 1 old craft 1 bag trash 6 kitchen items 1 baby outfit 1 bag popcorn 1 square wrapping paper     247 + 16= 263  
This is our first year in OHVA with my 5th grader. He started homeschooling last year after Thanksgiving, but because I got pregnant, we decided to enroll in OHVA this year in order to lighten my load a little. We knew several families who were already using it and liked it. I'm in Columbus, too, BTW (Hilliard City Schools).   On the plus side, there is some accountability. We know that someone is checking in every once in a while to make sure we're keeping up....
Take what the Director said with a grain of salt. She's going to have her own views and preferences about Waldorf and Montessori. She's also going to have an interest in encouraging you to enrol your daughter at the school earlier rather than later.       This is *exactly* what I thought when I read your post.   If your daughter was in a Waldorf school and you were planning to transfer her to Montessori, I'd agree that you should transfer her as soon as possible....
Like mom2qts, I've had 2 with epidurals and 2 unmedicated, and all 4 times birth was good. My second epidural I didn't need for pain management, but my midwife mentioned that it might help prevent shoulder dystocia, which I'd had with my first, so I got it at 9 cm.   By my 4th birth, having done it both ways, I opted for unmedicated just because I didn't want to incur any of the risks such as spinal headache.  I knew that once I felt like I couldn't do it anymore, that...
If a parent starts a child in school and then pulls him out, as opposed to being a homeschooler from the start, it's usually because there are problems at school. We pulled ODS out 1/3 of the way through 4th and don't regret it, because it took care of the problems he was having. My younger son sometimes feels left out, as he's the only one of 4 who is away at school all day, but I really think I would regret it if I pulled him out just because I miss him. He is thriving...
Thanks for the tip, Satori. I will see what I can do to bypass some of this busy work that I feel he doesn't really need to do. Mostly the vocab, spelling, and grammar. And the art projects drive us crazy---does he really need to do every art project? My younger son who is in school has only done 2 art projects so far this year.
Hold On To Your Kids is probably the best parenting book I've ever read, and I've read a LOT. I always recommend it whenever anyone asks for suggestions for reading.  As for feeling guilty when you're not playing with your kids, don't.  I've seen the difference it makes when you let kids play on their own. With my first I constantly entertained him-- reading to him, playing with him, cooking with him, etc., but I let my second son and my daughter play on their own a...
This is only my second year homeschooling my 11 yo DS. Last year we did our own thing, but since i got pregnant and knew I'd have a new baby this year, we decided to enroll in K12.  I agree that it is an awful lot of work for him--and a lot of it is busy work.  The material itself is not hard for him, but it's a challenge to get it all done in a timely manner.   I liked it better when we had more free time. We don't really get a chance to get out and explore, or try new...
I'm not interested in the SAHM/WOHM debate...I've been a mom for 11 years and have been a SAHM, a WAHM, and a WOHM at different times.  Each situation was appropriate for our needs and wants at the time.   However, I do understand the feeling of wondering why people feel the need to put their children in preschool so early.  My daughter was 18 months when I went back to work and she loved her preschool.  But I know people who don't work outside the home and put their...