or Connect

Posts by Super Pickle

DD started at a Montessori program at 18 months, full day, after staying home with me for her whole life prior to that. I took a job and she was there M-F from about 8 am to about 3 pm. She never looked back. Never had a clingy goodbye, never cried, etc. When I quit working about 8 months later, we kept her in 3 mornings a week. She loved it. She just turned 3 and we're not sending her this year, though. I personally don't think preschool is necessary but it was a good...
I asked our ped. if he saw any safety hazards inherent in getting a twin as opposed to a crib mattress, and he said no. He said we might as well get a twin since we're going to need it anyway. And I was thinking that if it's a twin, I can lie down beside baby and nurse him to sleep, then slip away, whereas I couldn't fit onto a crib mattress with him.   I've had babies roll off my adult bed before, and it is scary. And the pillows are just a suffocation hazard,...
I was just talking to my kids' pediatrician about this last week. We want to set up a Montessori nursery for our new LO and plan to do a floor bed.   Our pediatrician, who is very laid back and reasonable, siad he didn't see any problem with a mattress on the floor as opposed to a crib, as long as the room is thoroughly baby-proofed.  He said that the safest arrangement would be for the mattress to be away from all walls, to prevent the baby rolling off and becoming...
Hi everyone. I just wanted to throw this story out there and see if anyone had any insight as to what is going on.   I took my ODS out of 4th grade last year at Thanksgiving to homeschool.  Our requirements are pretty lax, but I was expected to either keep a portfolio or have DS take the statewide standardized test at the end of the year. We chose not to keep a portfolio and just to sign up for the test.   DS took the test at his old elementary school, along with...
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I have to go in to the school office this week anyway to get some old records for DS1, so I may talk to the principal. I  am less upset than I was yesterday; I have calmed down enough to realize that the teacher is not bad; she just wasn't a good fit for DS1. DS2 is actually quite different.   My sister had a high school math teacher that she hated...3 years later my little brother had her and they got along famously.    The...
What do you do when your child gets the teacher that you really didn't want him to have?   We are explicitly told NOT to request a change of placement. We are explicitly told NOT to request a certain teacher. Instead, we are invited to fill out "parental input" forms in the spring describing our children's needs and explaining what kind of environment we think would suit our children best. We are assured that the professional staff at our school puts a great deal of...
I agree with weliveintheforest's suggestion: "Thank you; see you Sunday." I might add something like, "I hope you weren't worried that I was mad at your DS for throwing the toy, or that I thought he was out of control. Don't worry; I know toddlers throw things, and he was obviously not trying to hit anyone, so I didn't think anything of it."   This is a way of pointing out that her child really didn't do anything wrong that warranted punishment. You are also extending...
I think it has a lot more to do with personality than with spirituality. My oldest is a "wanter," and he's also always been the most interested in spirituality and religion.  The fact that he is a wanter bugs me to no end, because I am just not like that. Whenever he starts in with "Mom, can I get...." it makes me feel like a failure as a parent.   But then I look at his personality and I see that he just does not live inside his own head like I do. He lives in the world...
I didn't know that about the citronella collars.  I never used one but have wondered if we should have gotten that kind instead of the shocking kind.     The shocking bark collar has been a great solution for us. When we first got our dog, he would bark incessantly throughout dinner (we'd put him in the backyard during meals because he was impossible around food---he's gotten a lot better about that, too. Thank you, previous owners ). I know it had to drive my...
 the dog really learns quickly not to bark, though, and probably (unless super stubborn) only experiences the actual shock 3 times maximum.   This was our experience, as well. Our dog probably got shocked 3 times before he caught on. That was maybe 2 years ago, and he still understands that if he is wearing the collar, he better not bark.