or Connect

Posts by Super Pickle

Thanks everyone for the advice and commiseration. Amca, your dog sounds a lot like mine. If i leave the downstairs I have to put him in the laundry room because the minute I am out of earshot he will be jumping up on the counters trying to find something to eat.  I am not quite ready to give up because I guess I have this idea that you get out of dog ownership what you put into it, and since getting rid of the dog is not an option, I'd rather like him than spend the next...
Thanks, greenmagic. I like the idea of taking a training class. What does PR  based mean?   He is a 90 pound lab and has a lot of energy. Generally I walk him for about an hour in the morning so that he is tired and will lie around in the family room for a few hours.  When he gets hyper again in the late afternoon I put him outside in the backyard to run some of his energy off (not in this heat wave, but normally). I like the idea of sitting petting a dog, but ours...
I hope someone can help me cultivate some fondness for my dog. I know most people who come to this forum are probably ardent animal lovers, and might not understand how I can not love my dog, but I don't feel anything for him and would like to do better.   We decided to get a dog a few years ago because my oldest son seemed to really love animals and he always spent lots and lots of time with my in-laws' dogs when we were visiting.  We thought, "This boy should have...
Thank you, mom2ponygirl. Your encouragement was really appreciated! I laughed when you said that February is the official month for doubting yourself.  It's like, I thought we would be out doing awesome stuff, but I don't even wanna leave the house in this cold! Today we made bread and looked up the "why's" of yeast and kneading, so that was a little more on the right track, I felt. I also signed him up for a four-week class on weather at a nearby science education...
Hi. I have been homeschooling my fourth grader since Thanksgiving. I feel like I am not doing a good job, because we have so much down time during the day before his brother gets home from school. I guess I am not very organized and I don't have much of a plan. Originally, I was going to use the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas to come up with a game plan, but then we had parent-teacher conferences and I realized it was imperative to get him out ASAP.   How do...
It sounds like you are not very far into the session, is that correct? How far away is the next recital? (I did read the whole thread, but may have missed these details). If you have only gone to one practice, it is not really likely to affect the class if your daughter stops going. If there is a recital coming up very soon, you might consider telling her that she is expected to continue until the recital, either because of the financial commitment you made or the class'...
No, I wouldn't. And I didn't--I pulled my oldest out of public school b/c he hated it, but his younger brother is thriving there so we decided not to bring him home.    I think that unless you have the time and energy and support needed to do homeschooling well--or unless you know in your heart that you definitely want to homeschool--then you should be grateful that your son is happy in school and accept that it may not be 100% perfect, but it is a good fit right...
Hi! I have been homeschooling my 4th grader for about 6 weeks now. He's learning a lot but I have not had him do any papers, projects, presentation, or other forms of communicating what he has learned. Every day, he does a few exercises in his Singapore Math workbook, we go through some of his Language Arts curriculum, and he practices music. Sometimes he has a writing prompt, and occasionally we do a science experiment. Once that is done, he can read, cook, play with...
I totally agree with you, OP. I have always just told my kids, "We don't come to the library to play computer, we come to read." Period. 
If you're not upset with the school, maybe you could just ask the principal.   In my state, we have to submit an "intent to homeschool" letter to the superintendent with a little bit of info about our plan.   You should be able to find out exactly what to do at the HSLD website.   However, if K is not mandatory, you should probably just go to the office and ask how you can "un-enroll (?)" your child.