or Connect

Posts by hypatia

Whey usually smells kind of sour. I don't really love the smell of whey. And it's supposed to last 6 months.
I can just imagine my conversation with DH about this one. He likes our expenses to be even and predictable from month to month, and I've been driving him crazy recently buying a year's worth of this or a year's worth of that. It doesn't fit well on his monthly Quicken graphs at all. DH: What's this one hundred dollars you spent at green pastures. ME: Oh that's coconut oil. DH: You spent $100 on coconut oil? ME: Well, it was a good deal. DH: (says nothing...
Hi Tonya, how disappointing your yogurt efforts have been failing. That's why I haven't ventured into yogurt making yet, myself. I'm curious about what others have to say. Do you have a warmer drawer? My mom read on the Internet that a warmer drawer is a good place to make yogurt, and she's going to try it in there.
The way I cam to TF was I got emotionally invested in a cancer blog written by an MDC mom about her son's battle with leukemia. She kept talking about her son's diet and how she was using that to restore his health. I started out feeling pretty skeptical of the idea of using diet to battle cancer, but her son kept defying all conventional odds and rebounding over and over again, and I started to think that there was more to this diet thing than I had previously believed....
What is the reason behind straining kefir? Does anybody else omit that step? I have been making kefir for a couple of months now, and I follow a super-simple process: When Kefir bottle is almost empty, pour in milk. Shake Leave on counter for 12-24 hours, then refrigerate. Pour kefir to serve (don't bother straining). Every so often change bottles for hygiene purposes. Is there some reason I should strain it that I'm not thinking of? Could I screw things up...
I agree -- don't supplement. Sally Fallon's breastfeeding advice is whacked.
I follow the directions is Wild Fermentations and make it with two mason jars: one wide-mouth quart size and one half-pint jar with a narrower. I fill the in a quart size mason jar with my saurkraut ingredients, and then I fill the smaller jar up with brine and set it inside the mouth of the bigger jar, so that the weight of the little jar is pressing down on the contents of the bigger jar, squeezing the moisture out of them. I leave it on the kitchen counter...
Luckily, so far it seems like they haven't spent any money. The only place where I have noticed them using my info is EBay (turns out that was my DH who changed the Amazon password). I never clear cookies, but just did and will work on that. Why didn't I think of a notepad next to the computer? Hmm.... will have to give that a try. The problem is I am a basically trusting person. I don't worry much about locking the door to my house, either. I'm...
They logged on to my Amazon account, too. Quote: Originally Posted by Tradd Who has access to your computer at home? Do you use these email accounts on a work computer? Nobody knows that I know of, except my 100% reliable husband. Quote: If you do any online banking, I would DEFINITELY contact your bank ASAP! Same if you have retirement savings/investment accounts with online access! This sounds like something an ex or...
I finally guessed one of my yahoo security questions right, and got into that account. They've been using my account to try to make fraudulent purchases at EBay. Luckily Ebay froze my account before they could buy anything. My Paypal account looks okay -- they didn't change the password on it. I'm debating about whether to cancel my credit cards and freeze my back account. Probably I should. Sigh. Still can't get into Gmail, so don't know what they're doing...