or Connect

Posts by Meli65

Re: Christmas, I had a true-believing 10-year-old (until yesterday! gulp) and he was in public school until this year. I was shocked myself.
Yeah, thanks!   He's not so much a reluctant reader, but has trouble sustaining interest when he is the one doing the reading. He likes comic books and magazines a lot. He likes listening to Harry Potter on disc. He really liked reading Robinson Crusoe for K12 and I would like to find him more things that are very simply written and interesting for boys. I thought to turn him loose in the non-fiction section and just have a fair amount of free reading time at home.
Though I've been long interested in hs-ing, I wound up sending ds1 to public school until this year (4th grade) as he was having a lot of trouble paying attention in class and actually learning things (he was diagnosed with ADD last summer). I decided to use K12 as a starting point but am about done with it -- too much work. My tentative plan for the rest of the school year is to continue doing the fun stuff we've already lined up -- homeschool co-op once a week, hs...
Did any of you see this story about K12 in the paper or online?   http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/opinion/virtually-educated.html?_r=2     I do think she is misinformed about kids being left alone all day to teach themselves (at least I hope she is) but, without offending anyone I hope, I am mortified to find out about K12's Republican owners:  "It was founded by a former Goldman Sachs banker and by William Bennett, the Republican writer and talk-show host,...
I am enjoying the curriculum that comes with K12 but still feel like the schedule is too rigorous, at least for us. Ds just started ADD medication this week and although the difference isn't huge, he does seem able to stay on track better. Our teacher is pretty useless. We are behind in our progress but I don't really want to bring her into it. Not sure what to do! Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!    
We are really falling behind. It's our first year with OHVA and my ds is in fourth grade and was diagnosed with AD/HD this summer. Some days (like today) are great -- most are not. His reading is so slow, his grasp of math facts is so not where it should be. I'm glad I took him out of school because I wanted to find out where he was exactly, but am dismayed that the news is not better.   Dh suggested we ask if K12 provides tutors...? Does anyone know?  
I know what you mean -- I was just telling someone tonight that I was glad I wasn't homeschooling for the "learning to read" portion of childhood. It seems very tedious! Ds is in fourth grade and the literature and science and history are fairly interesting for me, and that's nice.   I was talking to dh last night about the lack of professional support at K12, but then realized as I was talking that most people who hs get NO support at all, so actually it's nice to...
I posted on my K12 Facebook group about that problem -- I was pulling my hair out trying to get the darn thing hooked up with a wire. Anyway, you can buy these plug-in things that will hook you into the internet wirelessly  -- they cost $30-50. Mine hasn't come yet and ds has been using dh's laptop.   The learning curve has been pretty steep for me but I do think I'm starting to get the hang out of it. I wish there were more professional support -- I've been making...
Haven't been on MDC in a long while but it never fails to provide tons of support and great advice!   Briefly, we had ds tested and subsequently diagnosed with AD/HD this summer (a surprise to no one). Although long interested in hs-ing, I was pretty worn out from his high-needs baby- and childhood and was just as happy when school seemed to work for him. As he gets older though he has having more trouble with all the stuff AD/HD brings with it -- needing to move and...
Oooh, so much great advice, thank you! I am seriously going to print this out and put it in my homeschooling folder.   I also joined the local OHVA Yahoo group and am getting some great advice from them, too. I feel sure we're going to like this once we get going but I am not a fan of the huge learning curve. Seems like there must be a better way ....   On the plus side, ds1 seems much more relaxed than he did when he was actually in school. And that's with me...