or Connect

Posts by MtBikeLover

Thanks everyone! That is great advice to pick one thing at a time. He actually responds very well to incentives (aka bribery!). And I love the idea of the royalty and getting him to sit up straighter. Last night, I suggested he start with 10 bracelets (those popular stretchy bracelets that the kids love now!). He loves money more than anything in the world and is always asking how he can make more so I figured that would be his incentive. If he uses his clothes as...
Yep - DD did it around that age. She had been asking me to take her to get her hair cut but we had been busy so I never got around to doing it. So she took matters into her own hands and cut it herself. When I asked her why she cut it she said it had been bothering her. I didn't care at all and it saved me the $20 I would have paid to have someone else do it. She then proceeded to cut her own hair about 6-8 more times over the next couple of years. I think...
My 7yo's table manners are absolutely non-existant. It is awful for the rest of us to watch him eat and he has to change clothes after every meal. Plus, there is more food on the table and floor around him than I think ever makes it into his mouth. Does anyone have some good tips on how to teach him table manners? I've been doing the gentle reminders now for years, but it isn't working. Today was the last straw when he had just wiped egg yolk all over a very...
My 5.5 year old can: Wash her own body/hair Brushes her hair in the morning Pick out her own clothes & get dressed Get her own cups/bowls/plates down from the cabinets and prepare her own snacks. Heat up chicken nuggets in the microwave (I found this out yesterday!) Fix the dog her food Brush her own teeth Wipe her own butt Hang her own clothes Clear her dishes after dinner Wash dishes Wipe down the kitchen table after dinner Water the plants outside My...
I think a book exchange might be difficult with the wide range of ages. What a 1-year old reads is going to be vastly different than what a 6 year old will read. I did a Hawaiian Luau party for both my kids when they were 2 and 4. I did it at a local YMCA that had an indoor pool. All the kids had a blast and we had kids from age 1 to age 5 there. Decor was fairly simple - leis, palm trees, etc and the party favors were little sand buckets with bubble, chalk, and a...
Get some OxiClean! I had some old clothes that I wanted to sell and had stains. I soaked them for 5-7 days in OxiClean and most of the stains came out. I fill up a bucket with very hot water and add about a cup and a half of the oxiclean. Mix it all around and let clothes soak for about a week. Then wash clothes as you normally would.
I rarely run our AC and it broke last summer and I haven't fixed it yet so for most of last summer and so far this year, it hasn't run at all. I am in the process of getting it fixed but even then, I will pretty much keep it off unless it gets above 80 in the house. Then I will turn it on and set it to 78. Once the outside temp goes back down, the AC will go off. Luckily, where i live, it gets cool enough at night to cool the house down so I just open all the windows.
I have a gym at work and I work out 4-5 days a week during lunch. I actually go down a little before lunch because if I wait until noon, I am too hungry to work out. What helps keep me motivated is a friend that I walk/jog with. Many times I don't feel like working out, but if she goes with me, then I am more motivated. Is there anyone in your office that could be your workout partner? I also have a small iPod with great music on it and being able to listen to music...
My 7yo is the same way. He plays with his star wars action figures but most of his time is spent reading, playing Wii or iTouch, writing, and being outside. If he has friends over, they will play, but not so much with the toys. They tend to just run around and play with balls, nerf guns, etc. I wish I would have known this before I bought lots of toys that I thought were for his age group for Christmas last year that just sit on the shelves taking up space!!
Take him to the bank and let him open a savings account. That is what I did with both my kids when their banks got really full. There was over $500 in their banks and I was getting too nervous having it in the house. All of their money goes into their account and it will be for them to do with as they wish. We have no requirement that they have to save 1/2 because they usually end up saving all of their money. 7yo DS is saving for a car (he has about $1,100) and...