or Connect

Posts by LAWoman

I can't say I'm quite as productive as I was before the exhaustion and nausea hit, but I'm honestly glad for the distraction of working. If I was home I'd just be obsessing about how lousy I feel. At least I have something else to focus on. I also think it would be way harder to be pregnant and home with my preschooler full time. My desk job is positively relaxing in comparison so no complaints from me.    I'm actually finding it easier this time around too because...
I, for one, appreciate the ddcc WildKingdom and NashvilleMidwife.  Asheya, I'm sure you mean well and it's obvious that you care greatly about woman's birthing experiences and helping them make informed decisions which is great. But if you are posting to this DDC in your capacity as a birth educator, I think you are majorly overstepping your bounds with your posts here. Pointing people towards information so they can make their own informed decisions with the help of...
Due Oct 24. #2
Brian,Child is a great parenting magazine if anyone is looking for a good one. I've had several other subscriptions to magazines that folded and you usually just get a substitute that the subscription management service thinks is similar. No refunds. It always states that in the fine print somewhere.   I've never been a subscriber or reader. While I'm a fan of natural living/parenting, I could never stomach what seems like an anti-science bent of the magazine.
I cut back to 2 cups a day when we started TTC. And switched to 1/2 caf for those two cups when I tested positive.   If I remember correctly from my last pregnancy my midwives were fine with 200mg of caffeine a day, which is about 2 cups a day. High levels have been linked to miscarriage, but I believe that was more in the 4-5 cups a day range.   Last time around it started to taste awful to me around 6 weeks though so I imagine I'll be cutting it out soon. At...
I'd see if you can get an accurate weight for her. My son will be 3 next month and he's currently 32 pounds but he hasn't gained any weight at all in over 6 months. And I think his total weight gain in the last year is about a pound. He's just stretched out. You may have more time than you think, even if she is getting close to 35 pounds. The weight gain slows down a lot at this age so even if she is over 32 pounds, she may still have quite a bit of time left. Kids with an...
Sorry if I missed it and someone has already posted it but you can legally get an on off switch installed to turn it off when a child rides in front. I recently helped a friend get this form submitted for her husband who's necessary medical equipment would make airbag deployment dangerous. Here is the form you need: http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/...ch_Request.pdf Good luck!
We struggle with balance on this issue too. My parents moved near us just to see our son more and they are tremendously helpful in a million ways but it takes a little work to get the balance just right. they only live 10 minutes away though so it is a bit more effortless to have shorter more casual get togethers. Could you maybe alternate weeks and see them every other weekend and on the off week drop him off at their place for dinner once during the week or something...
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. 15 months was the pinnacle of neediness and exhaustion for us as well. It gets better. I used to joke at that age that my son would have crawled back into my uterus if I'd let him. He was permanantly attached to me every waking and sleeping moment of the day. Now he's 23 months and I marvel every day at how independent and self directed he is. I wouldn't have believed it was possible in those days. 15 months is also when I...
I tend to be a cautious person but I would personally not be comfortable birthing a pre-term, even a late preterm baby, at home. Babies born at 34 to 36 weeks are roughly 6 times more likely than full-term infants to die in the first week of life (2.8 per 1,000 vs. 0.5 per 1,000 according to the March of Dimes). Even though that number is still quite small, it's a significant enough increase that it would be outside of my comfort zone to birth at home, even with a midwife...