or Connect

Posts by BetsyNY

Quote: Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn We don't have rich friends. Never been to a party at a place other than homes or the park. We do visit an inflatables place when the weather's bad, just us, it's $7 a kid and parents free (and we get to slide and bounce if we want lol), lots of fun. Uh, having a party at a party place doesn't mean you're rich--in fact it can mean quite the opposite. We live in a teeny house and simply can't host....
Does your son have any kind of diagnosis? My ASD son had a thing with spitting for quite a while, and it drove us INSANE. Because the reason he's spitting is most likely something sensory related, the best thing to try is to replace it with a socially acceptable behavior, like chewing on ice, sucking on a lollipop, or drinking something thick through a straw. You might also try chewelry. We told him he could: --spit in the sink, toilet or in a tissue --spit...
This is us, to a T...my sons have special needs and right now they're both in great programs. No charter schools or "school choice" here (we live in a rural area), but they both seem to be happy and thriving. I agree with the other posters--I think that with school, you're either in or your out. Having said that, when we have a choice I do empower my kids to be themselves and exercise their autonomy--ie, my one son's teacher wanted the kids all to dress alike for the...
I feel for the OP and her daughter. It totally sucks to be left out, and my feelings would be hurt. My feelings are STILL hurt when I'm excluded, or when my kids are...at the same time, though, if my child chose to exclude someone, even when I put it to her she might be hurting someone, I guess I'd let it happen. Maybe that "preschool" excuse was just that, maybe there's a deeper reason.
"Don't put rocks in your foreskin! Actually, don't put ANYTHING in there."
New to this forum, but I need some support. I was dx'd depressive/OCD about fifteen years ago, and have taken Zoloft for the majority of that time. Lately, however, it just doesn't seem to work. I'm having crying spells. My therapists think (and I tend to agree) that much of this episode is related to my kids starting school, and our derailed homeschooling plans. My kids have special needs, and they're just better off in school right now--maybe not forever, but...
I think further evaluation is warranted, absolutely. Yes, any of these things on its own wouldn't be cause for alarm, but all together it sounds like something's up--a developmental pediatrician would be a good place to start.
Things like this will happen, honestly; it sounds like you need to be extra vigilant when Jake is around because he's probably going through the "what happens if I...." phase. He doesn't mean to hurt your daughter. I don't know if she's your first child or not, but soon enough you could be in Jake's mom's shoes, who is probably just as confused as you are. What I would do--I wouldn't say anything to Jake, most likely. I would put my focus on my own child and keeping...
Gosh, he's so little...the fact that he's cleaning himself up because you were "too frustrated" makes me very sad for some reason. As far as being ashamed to wear diapers, trust me, he's already ashamed. Quote: When he poops his pants in public, we go straight home so he can clean himself up. This is punishment, no? Since you know he does this, wouldn't it just be easier to bring a change of clothes with you, so as not to exacerbate his...
Your child is still a baby--going through a frustrating phase, no doubt, but a baby. He sounds like he's a handful. A bipolar diagnosis sounds, to me, wildly inappropriate. His behavior sounds within the realm of developmentally normal. It's way, way too early, IMO, for a psychiatric dx.