or Connect

Posts by BetsyNY

Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee I hate looking at behavior as "acceptable" or not. It is normal age-appropriate behavior, and to not accept our children's normal age-appropriate behavior as where they need to be right then seems unfair to me, but on the other hand obviously it isn't desirable behavior. I would try not to frame it in that way because IMO it isn't a helpful way of looking at it. Kids learn things through tantrums, and until those...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move There is a middle ground. We used to be unschoolers and we used to practice non-coersive parenting. It all sounded good to me, but the reality of it meant that my needs were NEVER met and that my kids weren't particually happy. We gradually made all sort of changes, which were mostly small ones that added to to a pretty big switch and now life is a lot more balanced. There really is a middle...
Tell this person to visit www.janisjourney.com. It's a blog written by a father of a girl with Child Onset Schizophrenia. That thing you said about the dragon--that's not conduct disorder. That's schizophrenia.
forget it
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial Financially, that just isn't always feasable. I have been lucky, that my daughter will eat almost everything (except meat) that I serve. But, if she didn't want what I made, and wanted a different meal, that would probably be a meal that was meant for another day. Plus, I'd be throwing away part of that night's meal. I'd most likely have to throw part of the second meal away too because she can only eat so...
These kind of threads depress me. Why people would choose to make food such a huge issue is beyond me. If your kid is hungry, feed them. If they don't like what you've got, offer something else. Quote: I always enjoy reading how other people handle food - especially on this board where people eat so healthy. You also have to consider who's responding to these threads. People who DO feed their kids chicken nuggets and Spaghetti-os (like me) usually...
From the title of this thread I thought you might just be looking for information. I see now that you only want a specific kind of story. My boys are healthy, but not without their issues that I won't elaborate on here.
Ditto the rec for the "Signing Time" DVDs. Our library has them and my boys have always really responded to them.
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady I'm going to do my very best to be nicer and calmer about it than I was last night. Last night was not my proudest parenting moment. She's had some other issues with lying lately and I think it just all together set me off a bit. She promised today on her own that she'd try and tell me sooner if she has accidents. So we'll see how it goes. Of course you will. I'm sorry if I came across as high and...
But it doesn't sound like the OP's daughter is constipated, which would make this more of a behavioral issue, no? My son's encopresis is multifaceted--he's constipated (probably) because of his terrible diet, which is caused by his sensory issues. It doesn't sound like your daughter has those kind of issues; this sounds much more related to control and circumstance, so seeing a therapist would probably be the best thing to do. The PP's suggestions re: showers and...