or Connect

Posts by lightheart

Anyone have experience growing on their roofs? Looking for suggestions and ideas of making the roof actual bed(s) rather than doing container gardening. Weight of the growing medium, the slope, and just how deep of soil should I be thinking about....
Our garden is doing good, beans are coming out of our ears at this point, I'm sick of green beans at the moment. Beware if you walk past my house - you cannot pass unless you take a yellow squash! It's actually not that bad, but you know how it is when you dream and dream that harvest time gets here then all of a sudden you have loads of one veggie and no more creative ideas on eating them, that's where we are at with the beans and squash. Our tomatoes have set nice...
You can also... ...start your seeds in pots or flats then transplant the strongest healthiest plants into the garden at the proper spacing. ...make your own seed tape, internet search "make your own seed tape" for more detailed instructions but basics are you sit at the table indoors with a piece of toilet paper and glue the seeds down to the tp at the proper spacing the plant the seed imbedded paper in the garden (or pots) I think the biggest mistake of planting...
Don't beat yourself up if you don't get them full this first growing season, you can dig the dirt that is already there, planting in it. You can work on making some compost this summer and plan to add enough dirt to fill up the beds at the end of the growing season. If you know anyone with livestock I'd think about getting some manure and spoiled hay that you can compost quick. You can purchace aged manure also.
If he does decide to get bees, have him go to the doctor to get an epi-pen to keep around the house just in case. I would do an internet search to see if there are any bee keeper clubs/organizations around your area, local hands on advice is always great. Call the county extension office also, they may be able to get you in contact with other beekeepers in your area, also might have some free publications they could send to you that ypu could add to the book you get him.
We set out one of those yellow jacket traps a couple years back, it had a chemical lure in it and the bees would flock to it, get inside, get trapped and die. We set it up away from the house but over on the steep hill where noone walked or played. I don't really know how much it really helped because we continued to see lots of yellow jackets around. Is there anyway whatsoever to get with the neighbor and figure out a way to reach the nests to knock them down? A...
I think "how it works" is that corn gluten inhibits root growth in broadleaf plants, the plant will germinate, but the root system will not develop properly so after water stress on the plant, the plant dies. Later the corn gluten will break down, providing nitrogen for the remaining plants. I've never used it, our son has a severe allergy to corn - so for him, not safe at all. It would be as toxic or more toxic than using hardcore chemicals.
watermelon, it's considered a warm weather plant, check your packet and see how many days it says it takes to produce fruit and see if you have enough days until frost for the plant to do it. I don't know what your last frost date is, need to figure that out, try here, if you want to know what "zone" you are in try this link broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower plants should be set out about 8 weeks before 1st fall frost, if your starting from seed from these you will...
Quote: Originally Posted by May May They all look fine but their leaves are just really tiny. I keep waiting for them to grow larger . . . When you say the leaves are tiny... could it be that you have a small leaf variety that you haven't grown before, spicy globe basil grows only about 8-12 inches tall, whereas the large leaf genovese can grow over 2 feet, the leaves from each are different also, the globe basil has small leaves in addition...
Flame thrower! Actually they make a small torch that you can use to burn the weeds out, don't know how that would affect the concrete.