or Connect

Posts by Embee

I am another one of those who needs visuals. I am an extrememly organized person but I need to see things in writing. I make a weekly schedule for myself; a list for the library, the grocery store, chores, etc. I find that when being given auditory instructions--or simply trying to remember all the things I'm responsible for--I can have a hard time following them because I am either (1) getting distracted by my environment or (2) simply have a hard time visualizing...
Oooh, this sounds like a book I could really appreciate. Thanks for the tip and info Piglet... and the excellent discussion all. I'm heading over to the the library to see if I can't get my hands on this one sometime soon. The best, Em
Fantastic game (if not a little exhausting for us adults at times ). I am a huge fan of Playful Parenting (Cohen) and so early on, I recognized this game as incredibly essential to learning about life, in particular, what it's like stepping into another's shoes. Empathy lessons! Also, the idea of taking on a role that is more "in charge" can be very empowering for DS, to the extent that he doesn't always feel the need to well, be in charge. Role play/exchange was a huge...
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma as a symptom of just how uniform all these little boys are. He's my first boy, and I'm not used to how little room there is for a boy to be a little different. Yes, I do see what you're saying here. I think there is always room, but there are obstacles for your son to consider... Quote: It does feel sad to me that there's no socially acceptable way for a little boy to be a little different. ...
Wanted to add... Quote: Originally Posted by Beauchamp and it feels so awful to hold my child and she cries because her dad is not the one holding her. I remember when my DS first cried because Dad was walking away (to his office, to work) and he was "stuck" with me. DH smiled at me and said (in a mild way), "Now you know how I've felt for the last year." It helped me get some perspective in any case. The best and hope you're feeling...
Ah Mama, I think many of us have been there. My DH has worked here at home from day one. In the early months, as it is with most babies, it was ALWAYS me. DS started to accept/prefer DH more often when he was around 9 months to a year. I absolutely remember feeling jealous from time to time. For me, those feelings were more about me, and not so much about DS as the jealously was especially acute if DS and I had had a rough day--fussy, or perhaps I was feeling distracted...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J because of never knowing about such critically important things as who Ben Franklin was. Ah yes, Lillian. You always put things in such wonderful perspective. I appreciate your posts so much! Funnily enough, the only thing I remember of Ben Franklin from my school experience was the kite, the key and the lightening bolt. It wasn't until we began our unschooling journey that I kept seeing The Autobiography...
Quote: Originally Posted by Stacey B just a sharing of love. 'Tis a wonderful thing to share. Many thanks! Enjoy... Em
Excellent. Thanks for posting the link, Leslie. This especially jumped out at me (and DH who was happily reading over my shoulder as usual): Quote: A fundamental psychological principle is that anxiety inhibits learning. Learning occurs best in a playful state, and anxiety inhibits playfulness. The forced nature of schooling turns learning into work. Teachers even call it work: "You must do your work before you can play." So learning, which children...
Lovely article, Lillian. Thank you for sharing. I admit, it's always a good boost to see a piece like this on a more or less mainstream site. Thanks again, Em