or Connect

Posts by minta

Thanks! Of course it looks less open and spacious now, but I don't mind that as I think the problem before was that the room felt more like a long, breezy hallway, rather than a place to hang out and chill as a family. Now I just need to finish painting that wall -- sigh...
We have 3 kids under 3.5. Our house is billed as a 5-bedroom. The 2 bedrooms upstairs our huge so what we do is use 1 as a play/bedroom for the kids when they stop co-sleeping. The other room is our master bedroom and it has a large built-in wardrobe. We keep my clothes in there, as well as all the children's. We also have 2 freestanding dressers full of kids' clothes in our room, one of which doubles as a change table for the baby. I like having all our stuff in the...
Aw, thanks! The shame about the floors is that they are COLD and the wind comes right through them in the winter, so we have rugs everywhere anyway. But yes, I'm a sucker for hardwood myself. My style isn't tremendously cottagey but I am hoping to finish organizing decorating soon so I can post in the clean-and-neat thread -- right now we still have a bit of a clutter, ironically because we moved from a small apartment into a big house and had no stuff, so it's...
If you look at my pics in the thread about my living room, you'll see I keep all my books! They are my best friends and I adore living surrounded by them, so I'd get rid of everything else in the house first before letting them go. : FWIW, I personally dislike built-ins as I prefer keeping our options open, so we just bought a bunch of bookshelves from IKEA and lined them up so they'd be uniform. We added as we went so it never got really expensive, but you could...
Thanks so much for all the replies! You've all given me heaps to work with. As it happens, we had a matching loveseat in another room that didn't fit in the last living room configuration, but we decided to try it again since rearranging the furniture, and now it fits. So that's gone under the window, which I'm very happy about as it means more people can actually sit in the room. http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...C08985_3_1.jpg I really envisage this as...
Thanks. We actually tried that but then one side of the sofa winds up about 3 feet from the TV. It also really boxed up the room and felt a bit yuck having our back to the rest of the action IYKWIM? So I'm pretty sure I want to keep the sofa where it is but the chunk of space opposite is tripping me up because anything I put there is either too far from the coffee table or blocks the TV (in the case of a 2-seater).
We recently bought a cottage and I LOVE all of it -- except the living room! Unfortunately, the living room is the dead center of the house and the true "heart of the home" so I really need to make it work. Part of the problem is we don't have a family room or a sunroom (we do have a deck, but it's not closed in and too cold to use in the winter) and we have a combined kitchen / dining, so the living room has to work on many levels and be 1) child-friendly 2)...
Mine is light yellow. It is a tiny little room that follows on from the bathroom and leads out to the backyard / garden. The bathroom is cobalt, and the previous owners had the laundry navy, I guess to make it disappear, but I wanted it brighter and lighter. In my ideal world it would be an art deco peppermint green with black and white enamalware and that sort of thing, but that looked clashy with the cobalt so I'm doing the front entry that way instead.
Thanks for the congrats. We named him Julian, so rather a different style, no? I do still love Zelda, but DH never came to the party so if we'd had a girl, she would have been something else.
WE HAD A BOY! Game over!