or Connect

Posts by minta

You know all those enormous items that take up an entire shelf if you lay them flat... I looked into converting our plinth space but it's not a workable option in this particular kitchen. I'd love to get some kind of storage system that allows them to stand on their sides -- like a dish rack, only bigger IYWKIM? Any suggestions?
Thanks for your input, everyone. As of right now, we have a dining table in our kitchen that comfortably seats 6, with sufficient space to squeeze in 2 extra chairs as needed. We also have an island that seats 2. Our LR has a 3-seater sofa, a 2-seater sofa, and an armchair, with some nice floor space too. So that's our immediate family covered. I just notice that it seems a bit squeezier when we have 6 adults to seat, rather than 2 adults + 4 kids, so I was...
We have 3 children (under 4) so far, and hope to have 1 more baby, which will make us a family of 6. I have the decluttering thing down pat and am great at keeping toys and clothes and things like that to a minimum, but I am not sure how much furniture we actually need. I'm not expressing this very well but basically what I'm getting at is does a living room have to be able to seat an entire family at once? I'm thinking it should. Ditto a kitchen. So do I make sure...
FWIW, my brother moved into the basement when he was about 10 and he seriously had the ugliest "bachelor pad" you've ever seen in your life...but he loved it! My mom is a total neatfreak and loved having her messiest child's room out of everyday sight, and my brother loved having a rather rough-looking space where he could actually relax and just be himself without getting in trouble all the time, so it really suited everybody. It did eventually get renovated to make it...
Quote: What I would suggest, instead, is to set up your crafts/paperwork area in a corner of the master bedroom and keep the kids' rooms alone, or possibly to set up one room as the kids' sleeping room and the other as a playroom, instead of having all the toys in the same room as their beds, I was going to make the same suggestion. Aside from the practical problems associated with trying to keep the kids out of certain spaces, I don't really like...
Our system is that music always stays and movies always go. We have hundreds of CDs and I like having them right there in my face because then we actually do listen to them, and share them with the kids. We have most of our collection on iPod but I still like the hard copies because I enjoy looking at the covers and lyrics and such sometimes when I'm listening. We never buy movies as we only have 1 TV, the kids don't watch, and DH and I never watch the same thing...
I have NO idea where this question belongs! I want to spray a sofa with something to make it mildew-resistant so I can put it on an open-air porch. I have 1) no clue what to use and 2) no clue whether or not any of the available products are safe for my family (I have 2 babies who will suck the fabric, I'm sure, plus a cat) and I want to make sure whatever I get doesn't up the flammability (is that a word?). Any suggestions? TIA!
I think my biggest problem is knowing it's so good now because we've been working our butts off since we moved in. So I feel like we need to keep going until it's "done", even though I know DONE doesn't exist...
I have just returned from a 2-week vacation with my family (DH + 3 boys under 4). We spent a lot of that time camping. When we got home, I was overjoyed to see our house again -- it looked so bright, and spacious, and just lovely. I saw how all our hard work over the past 2 years had paid off to create a beautiful home that really reflects who we are. I also recognized how blessed we are to live in such a charming little place, and to be able to have the things we...
I have packrat tendencies myself. I'll spare you the psychology behind it but I do have a bit of a compulsion to hoard stuff, so what has worked for me is to start "hoarding" space, sanity, organization etc... I always feel the need to collect something or other, so I try to make the effort to collect "things" that will be good for my and my family's wellbeing. And the effort is well worth it! You will get there, too -- good luck!