or Connect

Posts by DevaMajka

Yeah, I don't want to imply that I'll even consider his idea!! Judging from his discussions with other friends, he's not changing his mind, and isn't worth my time. I won't be surprised, though, if I get an email trying to smooth things over. I'm sure he could tell by the look on my gave that I am not pleased. What ds2 did was, he bit his friend, a girl his age. This is not the dad's dd, either. He was just there. So ds2 bit her and had pulled her hair before. My plan...
Ok, good. Then its not just me! It just made sense to me, and was a bit surprised that other people disagreed..I figured they'd be happy that S wouldn't get hurt1! He, yesterday, scratched an older kid who was over (a neighbor). I realized that I have no desire to avoid "playdates" with her, partly because she is older (which changes the dynamic and my ability to supervise) AND because I don't feel judged by her mom. So ds2 will have plenty of opportunities to learn to be...
Just wanted to say that your compassion and patience are admirable! I wish I had suggestions, but sadly I do not know of any way to make things easier for you. Just giving you kudos :)
I recommend Becoming the Parent You Want to Be. Probably the most useful toddler parenting book I read (though there are many that I loved, this was the most practical).   In addition to the things you are doing, I'd suggest adding "honor the impulse" and redirect in a way that honors the impulse. (concepts from BtP) So, something like...say he's hitting the window with a toy hammer (yes, my ds2 has done this. lol). Figure out the nearest impulse..is he wanting to...
I recommend the book Becoming the Parent You Want to Be (just a few chapters are discipline related, so it's a quick read and FULL of ideas and tips and reasons why they do the aggravating things they do. lol). It was basically my parenting bible when ds1 was younger. lol. Seriously not sure I could have gd'ed without it!!
My ds has recently been hurting one of his friends (a girl of the same age). I tried closely supervising, but I let my guard down just enough, and he hurt her that time too, so I just decided to avoid them playing together for the time being. Background- they only see each other when her mom (a friend of mine) and I pick up/drop off our older kids for school. School is out tomorrow. I made this decision 2 days ago.   I've gotten a few comments from friends that have...
I like that. Not interested in discussing my discipline choices with you. Nice.     Yeah, the bean dip thing. Good one. lol   There's a little more "history" there (different subject altogether). I was all for keeping things civil, but I'm fine if it doesn't even stay at "friendly aquaintances" after this stuff. He KNEW I didn't spank. I told him that. 2 of my friends told him that. Gah!
Long story short: a dad at my older son's school has taken it upon himself to send me an email telling me to consider spanking my nearly 3yo ds. The email included links to studies showing that spanking is good, and says that spanked kids are more well adjusted than non spanked kids, blah blah blah. (apparently. I didn't read them.) He wrote a LONG email about spanking, and basically why I should consider it, and how his dd is great and she was spanked.   He sent this...
With ds1 (7yo), his "junk sugar limit" is 15g a day (cereal doesn't get counted, but is limited to a reasonable amount). I'm not hardcore as in counting every gram, but I have a general idea. If we stay under the limit, he often goes days without asking for sweets, and when I say "no more" he's pretty much ok with it. If I let him go much over the limit, he sometimes will get very upset when I tell him "no more." That happens for me and dp too- the more sugar we eat, the...
Which carriers would have the most poppable (lol) for a toddler? I need something that's super quick and easy to get him into and out of.  I don't necessarily need hands free, and I'm not worried about my back, as we don't usually have too far to go. I mostly want to stop lugging the stroller around, but want to be able to carry him easily without wearing out my arms. He doesn't hold on like ds1 did! Our usual excursions are to and from school for my older son, so...