or Connect

Posts by joandsarah77

I would add in a good intensive phonics based program for your eldest. The Orton Gillingham method or programs based on that is what is recommended for teaching reading to children with dyslexia. I'm currently using Dancing bears Books and Toe-To-Toe with my daughter. I certainly haven't found any program to be a magic pill though. I bought a bag full of Phonic Touch letters this year to add in a kinetic resource and both of my children have enjoyed those. I am still...
Your son doesn't need to see a urologist, he needs a ped who actually knows what normal male anatomy looks like. The average age of retraction is 10 1/2 and the longer is stays tightly closed the better, as it keeps it clean. As you observed he pees a good stream, because the end of the foreskin has a sphincter muscle that closes down when he isn't peeing, which your Dr would know if he was at all educated. All your son need to do is pee, retracting is for sex only, and I...
Most 2.5 year old's are not retractable at all so only encourage him to do that if he can do it himself comfortably, no one should ever pull it back for him as they can't tell when it will hurt. Urine is sterile and the foreskin is a self cleaning organ just like the eyes normally are. Pulling it out a little might help. Some boys foreskin, especially if long gets kind of stuck together so pulling it down a little can 'unstick' it.
In that case have a nappy(diaper) on policy. While it still wouldn't be easy, I know all about getting shaky and sweaty over other things, it would be easier then removing it and then having that worry on top of it. I'm lucky to come from a fairly low circing country and haven't had to face this kind of thing, but if I did that is what I would do. Dr seem to be very quick! I know you shouldn't have to hover over a DR to safe guard your babies penis, but it seems to be the...
I keep seeing this lately over on the baby center intact care board where the DR is just 'gently checking'. It's unnecessary to check for retraction as what is the point? As much as use as checking a girls hymen- pointless and crossing the line. Also no they don't need to check the pee hole, I'm sure you know if he can pee. I'm wondering if they are checking for meatal stenosis which is a complication of circumcision causing abnormal tissue growth over the urethra. Many...
Is someone trying to retract him? If he isn't fully retractable it should be left alone, if he is fully retractable it can still be left alone as it's self cleaning in children. Don't retract it at all, don't use soap or bubble bath, make sure he is wearing cotton undies double rinsed and once he is healthy just 'neglect it'. The foreskin is similar skin to the eyelids and usually the cause of infection in the eyes is from someone messing about with it and the foreskin is...
If the spots are under the foreskin it is most likely to be smegma pearls. That just indicates your sons foreskin has detached in those small areas and he has a accumulation of smega, which is simply the bodies own soap caught underneath. They will go away in time. You can ignore it. Some boys seem prone to them, others never have them.
I disagree. That is a form of retraction. Any pulling back towards the base should not be done. It's like taking a speculum and 'gently' checking your daughter. It doesn't normally hurt, but it's unnecessary and crosses a fine line, which is why you felt uncomfortable with it. If his testicles are decended and he has no problems down there then keep his nappy (diaper) on. You know if he's peeing okay and she has no need to 'check' anything at all.
I think when they get older but before they get to the age where parents are not welcome in the bathroom-which varies between kids. That it might be a good idea for those with non retractable boys to mention to them that one day their foreskin will become retractable, that it isn't a good idea to force it and that if they reach adulthood and it's still tight that they can get some streroid cream from the DR and stretch it. My own son is 9 and non retractable and I have...
Yes, what that Dr did is retraction. Any pulling back of the skin is retraction. Also tight? You need a new Dr as he is uneducated. Boys cannot have a 'tight' foreskin in the sense he means. It's meant to be attached to the glands with the tip closed tightly. If he can pee the opening is big enough. Ugg that Dr makes me so angry for you and him. It becomes detached in it's own good time. There is no set age. The average age of retraction is 10 not 5, but even if it's at...